There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

A great way to start into retail.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are empowered to make decisions and satisfy customers. Managers are very willing to work with your schedule. Opportunities for internal promotion. Great team environment.

Cons

Retail hours with retail pay. Many younger employees decide that retail is not right for them, so it can occasionally be difficult to keep enough people on the floor during summer hours.

Advice to Management

Give individual stores more freedom for displays and events.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Too many bosses...

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits program and not going out of business in the near future.

Cons

Rotating schedule. Retail environment, have to make lemonade from lemons on a daily basis. To be everything, the low price leader, the best customer service, high quality, etc... this can't really be done and you are always failing at something.

Advice to Management

Be realistic. New consumers are different from old consumers does not mean old consumers have changed. Offering low price and high quality only works if you can deliver the product. There is a reason Rolls Royce delivers few cars then GM. You cannot deliver great customer service with untrained associates making a little over the minimum wage.

2. Buried in Paperwork

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager, Store Level in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager, Store Level in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an HR Manager, my standard schedule was fixed. I also built great relationships with my fellow managers.

Cons

Long hours, especially in the Spring when we added about 20% to seasonal labor force. The minimum for salaried managers is 48 hours/week, but this was the bare minimum. I typically worked 60-70. Due to being an OFCCP contractor, the HR role is buried in paperwork. I was never able to be proactive about anything because there simply wasn't enough time. My role was not there to coach management, it was there to take care of administrative paperwork that is suitable for a HR professional that is straight out of school. The pay was also grossly below the market average. I was lucky to be a store that achieved bonus. Otherwise, my base salary was about 30% less than an average HR Generalist. That being said, I jumped ship as soon as the job market progressed enough for me to gain a job with stable hours and competitive pay.

Advice to Management

There is a huge disconnect between Corporate and the stores. Start there.