Lowe's

www.lowes.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

Good company. Not perfect, but good. Mostly.

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have pretty good pay, especially for retail, and they schedule you for a lot of hours as part time if you work the summer. For the most part, people are pretty friendly at my store. Management doesn't care if you joke around a little bit during work hours as long as you still get your job done. There is a very strong emphasis on workplace safety, which I appreciate. And the management is usually pretty good about giving recognition to people who are doing a good job.

Cons

The schedule. Oh my goodness. It's a nightmare. Weeks are from Saturday to Friday, and as full time, you are guaranteed two days off in that time period. They are not necessarily together, and they only on the weekend once a month or so (welcome to retail). And your shift doesn't stay the same. I usually either open (6am-3pm) or close (2pm-11pm), with very few mid shifts (9am-6pm). I don't mind the lack of mid shifts, and while I'm not a huge fan of closing, I can deal with that. And I actually like opening because that means I get out really early. I just *don't* like opening the day after I had to close. I live half an hour away from my store. If leave work, get home and go straight to bed, I'll get at most five hours of sleep before I have to wake up and go back in to work. This isn't supposed to happen, but it does sometimes, and you can't get them to change it for you. You have to do it yourself and find someone who wants to switch one of those shifts with you. Which isn't always possible. And is usually a pain.
Also, you never really know what days of the week you'll have off, which makes it exceedingly hard to participate in any groups that meet on a weekly basis, since you'll almost certainly have to work at that time at least once or twice a month. And if you work full time, you have to have open availability (i.e. you ask not to be scheduled at certain times on certain days).

Make schedules easier to predict. I realize that it's just a repeating four or five-week schedule, and you'll always get the same days off, but why is it necessary to have such a confusing scheduling system? Can't you just hire openers, mid shifters and closers? Wouldn't that be much simpler and easier? Wouldn't that improve morale? This is literally my only real complaint with Lowe's. And it would be so easy to fix.

5048 Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's (View Most Recent)

Great work environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate I in Mansfield, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate I in Mansfield, PA

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers
    Passionate employees
    Great management team
    High quality customers
    Good products
    Knowledgeable staff
    Opportunity for growth
    Ample compensation for work done
    Potential for bonuses

Cons

Seasonal drops in business
    Must be very knowledgeable about products in order to succeed
    Lots of additional promotions to remember and present to customers

Sometimes the store has a little too much going on at once, not only for the employees to remember, but for the customers to take in. It may be helpful to limit your promotions/events to only so many per week to prevent everyone from being overwhelmed.

Lowe's is a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, benefits, and employees.

Cons

Lack of flexibility in scheduling

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's