Lowe's

www.lowes.com
  www.lowes.com
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

Good company. Not perfect, but good. Mostly.

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have pretty good pay, especially for retail, and they schedule you for a lot of hours as part time if you work the summer. For the most part, people are pretty friendly at my store. Management doesn't care if you joke around a little bit during work hours as long as you still get your job done. There is a very strong emphasis on workplace safety, which I appreciate. And the management is usually pretty good about giving recognition to people who are doing a good job.

Cons

The schedule. Oh my goodness. It's a nightmare. Weeks are from Saturday to Friday, and as full time, you are guaranteed two days off in that time period. They are not necessarily together, and they only on the weekend once a month or so (welcome to retail). And your shift doesn't stay the same. I usually either open (6am-3pm) or close (2pm-11pm), with very few mid shifts (9am-6pm). I don't mind the lack of mid shifts, and while I'm not a huge fan of closing, I can deal with that. And I actually like opening because that means I get out really early. I just *don't* like opening the day after I had to close. I live half an hour away from my store. If leave work, get home and go straight to bed, I'll get at most five hours of sleep before I have to wake up and go back in to work. This isn't supposed to happen, but it does sometimes, and you can't get them to change it for you. You have to do it yourself and find someone who wants to switch one of those shifts with you. Which isn't always possible. And is usually a pain.
Also, you never really know what days of the week you'll have off, which makes it exceedingly hard to participate in any groups that meet on a weekly basis, since you'll almost certainly have to work at that time at least once or twice a month. And if you work full time, you have to have open availability (i.e. you ask not to be scheduled at certain times on certain days).

Make schedules easier to predict. I realize that it's just a repeating four or five-week schedule, and you'll always get the same days off, but why is it necessary to have such a confusing scheduling system? Can't you just hire openers, mid shifters and closers? Wouldn't that be much simpler and easier? Wouldn't that improve morale? This is literally my only real complaint with Lowe's. And it would be so easy to fix.

4631 Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's (View Most Recent)

Lowe's is a great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service IV in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service IV in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people; benefits; bonus opportunities

Cons

hours are not life style friendly; only certain jobs are allowed to have steady hours and those jobs are dead end jobs. You cannot have a life outside of Lowe's and schedules are not posted in a timely manner.

I think that store level employees need to have steady shifts especially since there are no longer any spiffs. People call off a lot because of this. It is difficult to get child care and the scheduling practice of "Clopens" is ridiculous

lowes garden cashier

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

good pay, nice coworkers, good hours

Cons

being a garden cashier during summer sucks 107 weather and a cheap fan :(

nice people