Lowe's

www.lowes.com

Not what it is represented...

Customer Service Associate IV (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI learned to operate a number of types of power equipment: power lift, fork lift, Star Wars for, pallet jack, motorized pallet jack, cherry picker.

I learned a lot about specific products and renovation procedures.

I learned which employees to ask for home improvement advice, and which ones NOT to ask (HINT: ask for the department "pro.")

Was paid relatively well for the area (normal retail started at $8-10/hour. I started at over $11 per hour1, and went to $13 in two years.)

It was available when I needed a non-serious job, with decent benefits.
PRO: Good health coverage for FULL TIME employees (nothing useful for part-time). Dental and Vision available. Decent vacation and sick leave. Built in HOLIDAY pay, as benefit hours.

ConsManagement varies GREATLY. Some managers are great and good leaders, others are micro-managing, condescending, and spiteful.

Favoritism runs rampant. So does fraternization.

You are not told all that your job entails at the time of hire. It changes weekly or monthly. Different managers will tell you to do conflicting and contradicting methods/activities. Then, they will NOT back you up when you get called down for doing what they told you to do.

There are MANY corporate rules and structure, most of it is NOT followed.
1. Corporate rotation (set predictable schedules for all types of employees). Most stores make up excuses not to comply.
2. Rules about when you are supposed to do "tasking" (non-customer service) parts of your job. There are prohibitions against doing them during certain hours. WARNING WILL ROGERS: some managers "write you up" if you do them during those hours, some write you up if you don't.
3. They are ALWAYS understaffed. They cut hours according to sales. So, especially on the sales floor, you are often left doing work intended for two people. And, if you cannot complete ALL of the tasks, they threaten to "write you up."
4. Favorites in a department will do the easy tasks (example: decorating), while non-favorites will do the hard tasks (carrying a pallet of 40 pound boxes up a rolling ladder to top stock).
5. Cashiers are also used as janitorial staff. You are told to clean registers, empty trash, mop 300 square foot areas of the store, clean the men's and women's bathrooms, the lunch, windows, etc.
6. Cashiers are placed in extreme weather conditions without advance warning. All Lowe's have outside registers. That means: 20 degrees to 110 degrees. They are NOT enclosed, and have only a fan or space heater for accommodation. If you are in long sleeves and long pants, and it is 106, too bad for you. If you are in jeans and a short sleeved shirt, and it is 30 degrees, "borrow a jacket."
7. As you may be able to tell, many managers "manage through write-up," instead of leading or enabling or encouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should make sure you know what employees are actually doing with their time. You have many working hard, and many that spend all time you aren't looking on their cell phone, or in the break room. Find a system where, especially when you are short-handed, that duties are divided more evenly. You will see less burn out.....

15 years as a director

Regional Sales Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: decent benefits for a retail establishment Cons: when you turn 60 you will be without a job Advice to Senior Management: keep your resume up to date No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

On the verge of insanity

Department Manager - Customer Service (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: For retail they pay higher then most. benefits are great. Cons: Lack of help from Management. Lack of training unclear direction from… Advice to Senior Management: Staff the stores not middle management decide what you want to do and go and stick… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Lowe's.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!