There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

The store manager recognized me immediately as a leader.

Current Employee - Ope Specialist in Hurst, TX
Current Employee - Ope Specialist in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone should work retail at least once, it'll change your opinion of retail workers and hopefully the way there treated by the public.

Cons

Adjusting to retail hour's and the strange rotation schedule.

4289 Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's (View Most Recent)

Good place to work for a college student

Current Employee - Team Member in Lebanon, OR
    Current Employee - Team Member in Lebanon, OR

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work schedule. Two shifts Day shift (Mon-Thurs. 6am-4:30)/ Weekend Shift (Fri-Sun. 6am-6:30am). Weekend shift pays 40 hours for 36 hours of actual work. Decent pay and lots of opportunities for overtime. Many opportunities for advancement. Great time paid time off program and attendance policy.

Cons

After three years of working your wage is capped at 16.25 hr. Productivity bonus is capped at $1.50 for working at %120 so if you work harder you aren't compensated for it. There is little reward for being a long term employee. Promotions are barely worth the added responsibility since team members can make almost the same amount with working OT.

Lower level management acts like they are going to be responsive to your concerns but usually just brush them off until something bad actually happens. They then act like no one told them about the issue. Probably because they don't want to look bad to their supervisors.

Upper level management is very responsive to your concerns but usually want you to talk to them through your coach which again is like having communication with a brick wall.

Create accountability with lower level coaches, create communication forms for team members to give to their coaches so there is a permanent record of the concern being reported. Most of our concerns are brushed off by stating Lowes current policy. Policy if flawed should have some avenue for change.

Give employees a small living wage increase every year for team members who are loyal employees to the company. We all know that other local distribution centers do it for their employees. Give us something to look forward to if we are hard working employees. Platinum recognition is nice but does not make our bank accounts bigger. Lets face it, money is why we work for a company not a sense of company pride.

Worst Possible Cashier Job.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were generally good-hearted. Pay was above average for a customer service position. (Although, I hear that it is calculated based on your past experience. So, not everyone would start at the same rate. I started at $11.50).

Cons

Not very much training. I essentially was told to watch someone complete a few transactions, then I was left to run the register by myself. I didn't get a chance to do any sample transactions. The equipment is extremely outdated and appears to be run by DOS operating system.

The worst part was that you had 15 reviews a day on how well you did you handled a transaction. I know that I am very good at what I do. However, you were expected to hold a conversation with a customer based on what they bought. This proves to be very difficult when they are only buying a pack of batteries.

You have to sign a LOT of paperwork regarding how many people you sign up for MyLowe's cards. (To be honest, they don't make very much sense to the workers or the customers. Also the card doesn't work unless the customer goes through a confusing process of activating the card online.) Most customers think that this will be similar to the Kroger Card where they get deals on the products being sold. This isn't the case. All it does it keeps track of your purchases. Likely being sold to a third-party to gain information. Did I mention the random times it forces you to ask for a customer's phone number for marketing purposes? If too many customers decline giving you their phone number (Which they often do.) you have to sign a paper.

You also are expected to sell a lot of EPP's (Which are warranties on products) Every item that you scan that has an EPP offered pops up on the screen. Your percentage rate (That you have to sign daily) is based off your total amount of EPP's sold versus how many were scanned. Now, if a contractor is buying 12 dimmer switches for a client's house and refuses any of the EPP's (Because, really, why would he care if in a year that dimmer switch had an issue?) your percentage will now be calculated by 0/12 EPP's sold.

You are marked down for not saying "Aren't you going to use your Lowe's Credit card to save 5%?" when the customer is clearly paying with cash.

It really isn't worth the headache of constantly being micromanaged! It was quite literally, one of the worst places I have ever worked.

Not to mention, there are only certain military ID's that are accepted. Way to support the troops!

Quit micromanaging. How many questions do the people at Walmart/Kroger/Meijer/Target ask when you go through their lines? Do you wonder why their sales are so much higher than your's? Quit focusing on scamming information out of your customers and just take their money! Also, allow ALL military discounts! That's why so many people are choosing to shop at Home Depot!

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's