There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

The store manager recognized me immediately as a leader.

Current Employee - Ope Specialist in Hurst, TX
Current Employee - Ope Specialist in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone should work retail at least once, it'll change your opinion of retail workers and hopefully the way there treated by the public.

Cons

Adjusting to retail hour's and the strange rotation schedule.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst Possible Cashier Job.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were generally good-hearted. Pay was above average for a customer service position. (Although, I hear that it is calculated based on your past experience. So, not everyone would start at the same rate. I started at $11.50).

Cons

Not very much training. I essentially was told to watch someone complete a few transactions, then I was left to run the register by myself. I didn't get a chance to do any sample transactions. The equipment is extremely outdated and appears to be run by DOS operating system. The worst part was that you had 15 reviews a day on how well you did you handled a transaction. I know that I am very good at what I do. However, you were expected to hold a conversation with a customer based on what they bought. This proves to be very difficult when they are only buying a pack of batteries. You have to sign a LOT of paperwork regarding how many people you sign up for MyLowe's cards. (To be honest, they don't make very much sense to the workers or the customers. Also the card doesn't work unless the customer goes through a confusing process of activating the card online.) Most customers think that this will be similar to the Kroger Card where they get deals on the products being sold. This isn't the case. All it does it keeps track of your purchases. Likely being sold to a third-party to gain information. Did I mention the random times it forces you to ask for a customer's phone number for marketing purposes? If too many customers decline giving you their phone number (Which they often do.) you have to sign a paper. You also are expected to sell a lot of EPP's (Which are warranties on products) Every item that you scan that has an EPP offered pops up on the screen. Your percentage rate (That you have to sign daily) is based off your total amount of EPP's sold versus how many were scanned. Now, if a contractor is buying 12 dimmer switches for a client's house and refuses any of the EPP's (Because, really, why would he care if in a year that dimmer switch had an issue?) your percentage will now be calculated by 0/12 EPP's sold. You are marked down for not saying "Aren't you going to use your Lowe's Credit card to save 5%?" when the customer is clearly paying with cash. It really isn't worth the headache of constantly being micromanaged! It was quite literally, one of the worst places I have ever worked. Not to mention, there are only certain military ID's that are accepted. Way to support the troops!

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging. How many questions do the people at Walmart/Kroger/Meijer/Target ask when you go through their lines? Do you wonder why their sales are so much higher than your's? Quit focusing on scamming information out of your customers and just take their money! Also, allow ALL military discounts! That's why so many people are choosing to shop at Home Depot!

2. Not a bad place to work, pay isn't great, but not terrible.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty relaxed atmosphere and almost always something to do.

Cons

Pay is not great, corporate office is not the greatest.

Advice to Management

Corporate office needs to do a much better job of looking at individual market areas and not trying to run every store in the country exactly the same. Different markets have different requirements.