There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

I want to love working here so much....

Current Employee - Head Cashier
Current Employee - Head Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the majority of my customers, there's always a rotten apple in the bunch, but for the most part, it's great working with them. I love the products we sell, being a home owner, I love learning all the things the specialists teach me. I love the majority of my co-workers, again, rotten apples happen, but there's a lot of different personalities, and I try to get along with them all. The pay and benefits are decent, the pay could definitely be better for the work we do, most of us deserve it.

Cons

The corporate side of this company, really is a detriment to the individual stores in so many ways. They have this heavy fist that "keeps everybody in line" to the point, it becomes an incredibly stressful environment. I work at a high profit/year store, and those corporate fists are heavy in our store. They couldn't care less about the employees, at all. You know, the people that makes the stores flow like a well oiled machine?! Yea, we're just peons. A dime a dozen. A lot more has been added to our plates, with little to no more pay, and that's pretty discouraging too. The list of cons could be so much more, but I'll stick with my main grievances for now.

Since Customer Service is what it's all about, and I don't disagree with that at all. Wouldn't it only make sense to try and build your stores with happy employees? If the employees feel valued and the environment wasn't so incredibly stifling, I can guarantee that you would have loyal customer service oriented employees that would be proud to call Lowe's their employer. It needs work though, the whole system needs work. We don't feel valued what-so-ever.

4349 Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's (View Most Recent)

no where to go

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

just a job, that's all

Cons

No incentives financially or otherwise

need to read the one minute manager again

Stressful - but decent pay

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you get into a good store with a great management staff you can expect to quickly rise through the ranks and have a relatively easy job path ahead of you. There can be tremendous growth opportunity if you lived in a densely populated area with multiple stores. The District Manager (aka Market Leader) decides who moves into the SM training.. pay @ that level is anywhere form 65k to 90k depending on where you live and how big your "market" is. avg is probably around 75-80k. Expect 60 hrs/week

Cons

small towns = small pay, but usually less work. There isn't work life balance. I felt like I was married to Lowe's. Retail management is sometimes equated to adult daycare, at times its extremely frustrating. Spring in the south is uber busy, and the holiday seasons start in Sept! I really felt a disconnect with some of the other managers you work with.. mostly are unskilled workers that have advanced one way or another and real have no place in their role. The training programs were eliminated about a year before i left the company - felt like i was stuck.
    Regional Staff and above are usually very arrogant, and don't greet hourly associates. poor form in my book

Remember that all Lowe's associates are people.. Treat them with respect.

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's