A great place to work, under the right circumstances

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

At my store in particular I feel most coworkers are like family. It can be a fun and positive environment given management is more laid back like mine. It's easy to get promoted if you work hard and if you have a certain personality. Management at my store expects a lot from the employees but is also understanding. I actually like the rotating schedule, as it keeps me from getting too bored. And if you put effort into your job you can actually learn a lot working here - but don't expect to be favored and promoted if you are lazy. The preferences are given to those who work the hardest and speak up about what they want to get out of their job.

Cons

Especially when you work on the front end, there is a lot of gossip and drama. Cashiers get full of themselves once they learn most areas and try to boss each other around. Customers constantly throw fits and demand to be reimbursed for ridiculous things, like gas money or time. Promotions are so easy to come by due to high turn over. Some don't work as hard as others but are friendly with management so they can get away with it. Management crumbles under pressure from customers and will do anything they want to keep them "happy", which essentially means the good Customers pay more for their items because they don't complain. Mostly just typical retail woes.

Communication is key - even customers notice there's poor communication between management and the employees. Really work to reward those who deserve it and weed out the lazy and rude employees.