Lowe's

www.lowes.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

Unfilled

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

As a Dept Manager you are given some space to operate as you'd like within your dept without too much interference from upper mgt.

Cons

For some reason Lowe's doesn't value education, I have a BA in Marketing /MGT and know more about the "business" than people who in higher ranking positions than I am. I'm constantly asked to do things that ASMs should be doing. It's a good company but after a while it becomes a waste of time if they don't want to promote you. I

5058 Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's (View Most Recent)

Terrible Training!

Former Employee - Weekend Sales Team Associate in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Weekend Sales Team Associate in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Lowe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Have the opportunity to work only weekends and the schedule's alternate every week.

Cons

No training, upper management was rude and there was low morale from the existing employees.

Try to give more training to your employees. There were several people who started with me that were completely confused as to what to do because there was no guidance better yet general training on how to use the internal equipment.

Culture varies by group; .com is great

Current Employee - Product Owner in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can get into the right group (in my experience, Lowes.com), the culture is extremely laid back and the work life balance is great. There is a lot of opportunity for upward and lateral mobility, allowing for some great experiences. Compensation is decent, especially considering the work life balance and the overall atmosphere. After working at a small company, the corporate office itself has some great perks: onsite pharmacy, coffee shop, cafeterias (including some external food vendors). Bonuses on .com are also traditionally solid.

Cons

Vacation/holiday time is very limited (expect 2-3 weeks vacation) with only 2 set company wide holidays. In my experience, this has been made up for with the work life balance... but something to consider in a less flexible setting for sure. Parts of the company can be very old school, stuck in a very traditional mindset that can be annoying for some. Related to the traditional mindset, I've worked in one group that was very religious (prayed at lunch if we went out as a team)... which I think could be a little uncomfortable.

One of the biggest issues we have is retaining great employees once we have them. With promotions, we pay less for internal hires than externals. At some point, that motivates internal candidates to leave for higher compensation. Additional holidays would really help - especially more set company holidays. Other retailers have the same store schedule, but still get more holidays. We always have on call support staff in necessary roles, but the lack of set holidays just leads to us "working" but having no meetings due to the skeleton crew and taking a half day anyway.

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's