There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

Unfilled

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

As a Dept Manager you are given some space to operate as you'd like within your dept without too much interference from upper mgt.

Cons

For some reason Lowe's doesn't value education, I have a BA in Marketing /MGT and know more about the "business" than people who in higher ranking positions than I am. I'm constantly asked to do things that ASMs should be doing. It's a good company but after a while it becomes a waste of time if they don't want to promote you. I

reviews filtered by

Culture varies by group; .com is great

Current Employee - Product Owner in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can get into the right group (in my experience, Lowes.com), the culture is extremely laid back and the work life balance is great. There is a lot of opportunity for upward and lateral mobility, allowing for some great experiences. Compensation is decent, especially considering the work life balance and the overall atmosphere. After working at a small company, the corporate office itself has some great perks: onsite pharmacy, coffee shop, cafeterias (including some external food vendors). Bonuses on .com are also traditionally solid.

Cons

Vacation/holiday time is very limited (expect 2-3 weeks vacation) with only 2 set company wide holidays. In my experience, this has been made up for with the work life balance... but something to consider in a less flexible setting for sure. Parts of the company can be very old school, stuck in a very traditional mindset that can be annoying for some. Related to the traditional mindset, I've worked in one group that was very religious (prayed at lunch if we went out as a team)... which I think could be a little uncomfortable.

One of the biggest issues we have is retaining great employees once we have them. With promotions, we pay less for internal hires than externals. At some point, that motivates internal candidates to leave for higher compensation. Additional holidays would really help - especially more set company holidays. Other retailers have the same store schedule, but still get more holidays. We always have on call support staff in necessary roles, but the lack of set holidays just leads to us "working" but having no meetings due to the skeleton crew and taking a half day anyway.

2. Im Suprised

Current Employee - CSA Garden in Allen Park, MI
    Current Employee - CSA Garden in Allen Park, MI

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, Management is all for their workers. they go out of their way to resolve issues.

Cons

There is major random shift scheduling

try to find more consistent shift scheduling

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's