Lowe's

www.lowes.com

View from a 10 year Associate in So California

Current Employee - Sales Specialist - OPE  in  Lake Elsinore, CA
Current Employee - Sales Specialist - OPE in Lake Elsinore, CA

Pros

The job can be very stable, as long as you are willing to show up as scheduled and on-time, and NOT get customer complaints against you. ( more on that under "cons") They do have a relatively good 401k/stock purchase plan, and the 10% employees discount and "insider" access to clearance/damaged goods can be helpful to the Associate personally if you are remodeling.

Cons

The number one issue, in my opinion, that makes Lowes hard to work for at this time, is the hourly work schedule. The Corporation has devised a schedule to cover all shifts that seems purposely difficult, and oddly enough as it is a blanket schedule based on average sales, it isn't necessarily good for the needs of the store. Employees are given split days off, back-to-back shifts, all sorts of difficult hours for no obvious reason. The company advertises that they are supportive of the student by offering part-time positions, but in order to work part time you must set your classes around you work schedule, not the other way around as is more common.

Lowes is a company of guidelines, they are constantly changing and updating their "Policy&Procedures", but just about every rule includes an "out clause" that allows management to change it based on their personal opinions. This is true even though they have a rule that says "only corporate can make policy", and it causes issues constantly. For instance, your store might have an unusually strict dress code, because your manager is hung-up on that, while the next store down the street doesn't, which is a violation of corporate policy which says every employee must have the same rules, but at the same time it isn't a violation because of the "out clause". Meaning you will have to spend a great deal more on work clothes than your associates down the street!
Or, you might have a manager whose personal beliefs include the idea that tattoo's are "unprofessional", and who will suddenly spring a "hide your tattoo's" rule on employees and managers who have worked for the company for years with no such issue. ( Funny in an industry where such things are incredibly common-place!)

In-store management has little or no power to affect the issues that employees care about the most. For instance, it is not their job to pay you based on local wages, on what you think is fair, et, et. It is their job to pay you as little as they can get away with. You can complain about wages to your managers, but their is zero they can do about the system. There is very little they can do about your schedule, that really comes down to how much power your manager has within his sphere, how much the District and/or Regional Manager cares about the issue, et.

After a decade with Lowes I would say that the only Managers that I would love to talk to are the ones I have yet to ever see! Those folks back at corporate who make the decisions. 7 years as a Sales Specialist OPE, and I have never, not once, been polled on my opinions of the product line, or what I or my customers would like to see on the shelves, or what would be some good items or merchandising ideas to create some big sales opportunities.

I understand the decision to concentrate on Shareholder Value and Executive compensation over anything else, I don't agree with it, but I know it is the popular business model in "Post Walmart America". However, I very much believe that a slightly more humane work schedule would be a huge help to morale. Perhaps one that actually takes into account the peaks and lows of sales on a daily basis, where we might see more hours dedicated to the busy times of the day and week, specific to the store, instead of the dysfunctional system we have now.

Ah, and your store signage and inventory tracking/auditing system is terrible! 90% of the stores stock is never checked between inventories, and the signage software and printers are an embarrassment. Invest in a signage/printer system that is actually designed to do what you need, OR change your system to work with what you have. Expensive? Yes, most likely. But nothing compared to your daily losses based on UN-signed or incorrectly signed merchandise, and stock lost up in the overheads having never been given a home.

Other reviews for Lowe's

MANAGEMENT SEEMS TO LIKE IT PT WORKERS ITS HELL

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Timonium, MD

Pros

if ur a college or high school student looking for a part time job its okay..pretty good pay for retail and a lot of communication between staff

Cons

take of on weekends automatic write up
    hours are horrible close at 11pm open at 5:30 am the next day
    29 hours maximum a week for pt
    male cashiers involuntarily get converted to outside loaders

employees have lives think about that before you schedule...and STOP turning cashiers into loaders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reasonable place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Plano, TX

Pros

I began as a CSA in Feb. 2010 after taking early retirement. Was looking for a 30-hr/week part time job. Interviewing process at the store was above average. Store has been entirely flexible with me on hours; a co-worker left and I was offered add'l hours. Expectations of employees covered in initial training, including behavior, hours, scheduling needs by Lowe's (heavy emphasis on weekends), physical nature of work. My dept manager is excellent, fair, and even tempered. Given today's economic/job market upsets, I feel pay range is good.

Cons

Co-worker attitudes: some younger workers have higher expectations for their worklife than Lowe's-or most retail employers-may be unable to fulfill (i.e. regular pay increases, shorter shifts, less manual work.) Work - as explained in interview and basic training - requires physical stamina and good shoes!

Management: needs more attention to internal communications; setting the example for friendliness and positive attitude. Management needs to share info and news with associates more intentionally, and look for ways to build "esprit de corps". Smile, train, and encourage.

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!