There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

View from a 10 year Associate in So California

Current Employee - Sales Specialist - OPE  in  Lake Elsinore, CA
Current Employee - Sales Specialist - OPE in Lake Elsinore, CA

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

The job can be very stable, as long as you are willing to show up as scheduled and on-time, and NOT get customer complaints against you. ( more on that under "cons") They do have a relatively good 401k/stock purchase plan, and the 10% employees discount and "insider" access to clearance/damaged goods can be helpful to the Associate personally if you are remodeling.

Cons

The number one issue, in my opinion, that makes Lowes hard to work for at this time, is the hourly work schedule. The Corporation has devised a schedule to cover all shifts that seems purposely difficult, and oddly enough as it is a blanket schedule based on average sales, it isn't necessarily good for the needs of the store. Employees are given split days off, back-to-back shifts, all sorts of difficult hours for no obvious reason. The company advertises that they are supportive of the student by offering part-time positions, but in order to work part time you must set your classes around you work schedule, not the other way around as is more common.

Lowes is a company of guidelines, they are constantly changing and updating their "Policy&Procedures", but just about every rule includes an "out clause" that allows management to change it based on their personal opinions. This is true even though they have a rule that says "only corporate can make policy", and it causes issues constantly. For instance, your store might have an unusually strict dress code, because your manager is hung-up on that, while the next store down the street doesn't, which is a violation of corporate policy which says every employee must have the same rules, but at the same time it isn't a violation because of the "out clause". Meaning you will have to spend a great deal more on work clothes than your associates down the street!
Or, you might have a manager whose personal beliefs include the idea that tattoo's are "unprofessional", and who will suddenly spring a "hide your tattoo's" rule on employees and managers who have worked for the company for years with no such issue. ( Funny in an industry where such things are incredibly common-place!)

In-store management has little or no power to affect the issues that employees care about the most. For instance, it is not their job to pay you based on local wages, on what you think is fair, et, et. It is their job to pay you as little as they can get away with. You can complain about wages to your managers, but their is zero they can do about the system. There is very little they can do about your schedule, that really comes down to how much power your manager has within his sphere, how much the District and/or Regional Manager cares about the issue, et.

After a decade with Lowes I would say that the only Managers that I would love to talk to are the ones I have yet to ever see! Those folks back at corporate who make the decisions. 7 years as a Sales Specialist OPE, and I have never, not once, been polled on my opinions of the product line, or what I or my customers would like to see on the shelves, or what would be some good items or merchandising ideas to create some big sales opportunities.

I understand the decision to concentrate on Shareholder Value and Executive compensation over anything else, I don't agree with it, but I know it is the popular business model in "Post Walmart America". However, I very much believe that a slightly more humane work schedule would be a huge help to morale. Perhaps one that actually takes into account the peaks and lows of sales on a daily basis, where we might see more hours dedicated to the busy times of the day and week, specific to the store, instead of the dysfunctional system we have now.

Ah, and your store signage and inventory tracking/auditing system is terrible! 90% of the stores stock is never checked between inventories, and the signage software and printers are an embarrassment. Invest in a signage/printer system that is actually designed to do what you need, OR change your system to work with what you have. Expensive? Yes, most likely. But nothing compared to your daily losses based on UN-signed or incorrectly signed merchandise, and stock lost up in the overheads having never been given a home.

4061 Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's (View Most Recent)

Lowe's will pay you enough to live, but work you like a dog for the money

Former Employee - Department Manager - Millwork  in  Twin Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Department Manager - Millwork in Twin Falls, ID

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

Decent pay. The company is so large, that it is impossible not to move up if you are motivated.

Cons

Your personal life takes a back seat. If you are sick even with a doctor's note you will be given the 3rd degree as to why you didn't show up to work. You are belittled by senior management. If you take advantage of the Lowe's "open door policy" you WILL be retalliated against. If you take something to a corporate level they send it right back down to store level and you will be singled out by store management. If you complain to the store manager, he will tell you to "deal with it or quit" . You are threatened with your job or write ups every day. If you work hard you will be expected to do all of the $h!t work and if you refuse to do something because it isn't your job, and you should not have to do it, you will regret it. If you work hard you will be expected to do every overnight shift there is. (about 9 weeks worth in the last 8 months) If you are a dept. manager like I was, you will be expected to keep your dept. clean and making sales when you are on these overnights and not given more than an hour per week to work in it. You will be so run down with the job you will want to leave shortly. Every dept. manager there says they will find work elsewhere as soon as the economy picks up.

Quit lying to your staff. They are not dumb. Take responsibility, and don't blame every bad decision on your district manager. He is just trying to do his job. My store manager told me that the reason I couldn't get a raise was because the DM said no. I asked the DM and he said he doesn't control wages that, that is done at store level.

MANAGEMENT SEEMS TO LIKE IT PT WORKERS ITS HELL

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Timonium, MD

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

if ur a college or high school student looking for a part time job its okay..pretty good pay for retail and a lot of communication between staff

Cons

take of on weekends automatic write up
    hours are horrible close at 11pm open at 5:30 am the next day
    29 hours maximum a week for pt
    male cashiers involuntarily get converted to outside loaders

employees have lives think about that before you schedule...and STOP turning cashiers into loaders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!