Lowe's

www.lowes.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

Lowe's is hard work. Make no mistake!

Former Employee - Senior Management Team in Sumner, WA
Former Employee - Senior Management Team in Sumner, WA

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

Lowe's has a good benefit package and competitive salaries. They will stop hiring and cut part-timers hours before they lay off existing employee's. This makes for good job security. Before the economic downfall, career growth was available as they were opening several new stores every year, in fact, could barely keep up with promoting and filling Sr. Management positions. If you want to be a store manager, the potential is available at Lowe's. But it takes allot of hard work and dedication. Senior manager positions at Lowe's are stressfull their is no doubt about it!
The potential for a great product knowledge and infastructure training is there, however, execution at store level is seriously lacking. Everyone is simply too busy to follow through. Shame because the tools are there to use and training improves employee moral, hence: increased productivity and sales$$$$

Cons

Very high turnover for Senior Manager positions due to lack of proper training (being "thrown to the wolves" once your training is complete), burnout from working long work weeks sometimes 12-15 days straight, back to back close then open shifts resulting in lack of sleep and family time. The base salary for senior managers is fair and the bonus structure is 40% of your base pay. You could potentially earn in the ball park of a six figure income if your store pulls off a full bonus. Not bad but you pay dearly for this in excessive hours and stress! Please know and consider that only about 20% of Lowe's stores see a full bunus at years end, and you don't actually get your bonus check until the following year March 1st.
As far as hourly or part-time positions, good pay and an opportunity to learn job skills you can move on with.
It is very difficult for a female to get promoted at Lowe's, although they are getting better. That said, many sinply move on because they can find better working conditions elsewhere. It's too much a a "good ole' boys club."

It starts at the top with the store manager. I'd say Lowe's runs with about 35% great store manager's and 65% tyrants. The good news is they only keep a store manager in the same store for about two years before he/she is moved to a new location, giving the employee's in that store a much needed break, and hopefully a positive change (not always true, though!) Solution to this is to TRAIN store manager's how to improve and raise employee moral in their stores, and then hold them accountable for this. Employee's want is a boss who is HONEST and FAIR. It's real simple.

5052 Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's (View Most Recent)

Great benefits, but be prepared to get used!

Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Greer, SC
    Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Greer, SC

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Mostly enjoy helping customers. Benefits are good compared to other companies.

Cons

They don't work set schedules with set days off. You can't get a second job, go back to school, or really make any plans. You only get 1 scheduled weekend off a month and the others are scattered. When you do get 2 days off in a row the schedule you to close the day prior then open the day after. You are unable to really do much, like leave town for a trip, due to having to work till 10 P.M. then be back for your shift your next work day by 6 A.M. Pay raises are given only once a year and usually they are not reviewed with you. This is primarily due to management being cowards. They don't want to tell you you are only getting a 3% or less raise. They make it almost impossible to use your vacation time. You can only use it at specific dates and it can be denied very easily .

Why is it OK for you to schedule me till 11 PM & then have me leave at 9 pm taking money away from me & my family. Yet when we have "visitors" coming to visit from corporate we "have" to stay late when it benefits you just to have to cut the additional hours later in the week. Then the "visitors" don't show up! If the weather is bad you are expected to show up to work & threatened if you don't go. The excuse "I made it in here OK, I'm talking to you on the phone," this was told to me by the manager of the store during a major ice storm. It's 2x4's, screws, nails, & door knobs, it is not worth me wrecking my car or injuring myself.

For the most part a good place to work.

Former Employee - Kitchen Designer in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Kitchen Designer in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

Convenient location, always one close to your home.

Cons

Typical Retail hours/issues, long hours, angry customers, incompetent management on store level.

Listen to the "Little People". We are the ones in the trenches.

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's