There are newer employer reviews for Luby's

could have been worse

Former Employee - Cashier in Tomball, TX
Former Employee - Cashier in Tomball, TX

I worked at Luby's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

always busy
Nice discount on food
Mostly older customers so friendly enough
Only does breakfast on weekends
raise after 3 months

Cons

manager was a sexist pig
Manager hired for looks so you are stuck working with idiots
there were multiple bug problems including crickets living in the ceiling and falling out in the kitchen

dont hire people becauase they have nice boobs and butts, go for actually knowing how to do the jobs you are hiring for

21 Other Employee Reviews for Luby's (View Most Recent)

Disheartening

Former Employee - Area Leader
    Former Employee - Area Leader

I worked at Luby's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn about cleanliness, organization and great facility maintenance. The management teams at the store level are well trained, fair and generally good people.

Cons

The overall corporate environment is extremely negative. Upper management will quickly relay information related to "what to do or you will get fired"; as opposed to "what to do so you will be successful".

Be very careful. The pay is great, but the daily "beat-downs" become intolerable quickly.

Management can make or break your experience

I have been working at Luby's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beyond picking up life skills that carry on into your every day life (like cooking from scratch and food safety), the food quality assessment policy is the only other reason I can think to stay. If you're a cook, you have the opportunity to taste all the food you make, so you never go hungry.

Cons

Sometimes management will skim off the top of your hours to get you under 40 hours, preventing you from receiving overtime even if you've worked them. Unless you approach management about taking your hours away, you will not be compensated for your time. Management varies from store to store, but management at my store chased women around like they were pieces of meat even when they were aware the female employees were not single and that it could cost them their jobs. Management tends to play favorites and will let certain employees get away with not performing their job duties while working capable employees like dogs. If they know that you can perform the duties of 2 employees and can get away with paying you for doing the work of 1, they'll utilize that to their advantage and trim hours around the store, forcing the remaining staff to do double the work. I've handed in my resume to be submitted for consideration for management positions multiple times, but am in the firm belief that management hasn't sent my resume into the corporate office out of fear of losing me as an asset to their particular store.

Corporate leaders need to take time out to individually discuss store issues in problem restaurants with employees to find out what is really happening, rather than sitting in the office with 3 managers who cover each other's backs.

Management needs to be more professional and treat employees with respect. Some of us aren't there because we made mistakes in life.

There are newer employer reviews for Luby's