There are newer employer reviews for LucasArts

IT support for game development

Current Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LucasArts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great. Creative, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Instability of upper management. Cycle of layoffs lead to uncertainty.

Invest in the studio and make great games again.

reviews filtered by
  1. A powerhouse of talent and passion, anchored by slow decision making.

Former Employee - Senior Artist in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Artist in San Rafael, CA

I worked at LucasArts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During my time at LucasArts, I worked with some of the most talented folks of my career. The environment was nurturing and encouraging. My career path was self determined, and supported. We had great teams, passionate about making quality games. I made some of the closest friends of my life during my time at LucasArts, and was probably the best job I've ever had.

Cons

Upper management's decision making was puzzling, and unnecessarily slow. Some questionable games would flounder for years before being scuttled. Solid strategy and planning were nowhere to be found, often demoralizing development teams. There were tons of great new IP that would get shelved in favor of Star Wars, which was clearly becoming the only IP they were interested in pursuing.

Listen to your development teams. You will not find a more passionate bunch who want their games to succeed. Enable them. Trust them.

2. Creative, not risk averse, providing a collaborative environment and fantastic facilities, though slightly schizophrenic

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LucasArts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facilities are awesome. Company was not afraid of taking technological risks, enabling engineers and artists to do their best. Highly creative and collaborative environment, challenging each individual to grow and do things nobody had done before.

Cons

Company was sometimes unable to see the forest for the trees. Underestimated some of the challenges it faced. Higher level management didn't necessarily understand how to clear a path to some of the goals it set. Some people in key positions unable to make decisions to help projects succeed.

Listen more to people in the trenches, and don't turn your back on years of work just because things get difficult. If game development was easy, everybody would succeed at it at first try.

There are newer employer reviews for LucasArts