There are newer employer reviews for LucasArts

IT support for game development

Current Employee - IT Support  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LucasArts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great. Creative, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Instability of upper management. Cycle of layoffs lead to uncertainty.

Invest in the studio and make great games again.

35 Other Employee Reviews for LucasArts (View Most Recent)

A powerhouse of talent and passion, anchored by slow decision making.

Former Employee - Senior Artist  in  San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Artist in San Rafael, CA

I worked at LucasArts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

During my time at LucasArts, I worked with some of the most talented folks of my career. The environment was nurturing and encouraging. My career path was self determined, and supported. We had great teams, passionate about making quality games. I made some of the closest friends of my life during my time at LucasArts, and was probably the best job I've ever had.

Cons

Upper management's decision making was puzzling, and unnecessarily slow. Some questionable games would flounder for years before being scuttled. Solid strategy and planning were nowhere to be found, often demoralizing development teams. There were tons of great new IP that would get shelved in favor of Star Wars, which was clearly becoming the only IP they were interested in pursuing.

Listen to your development teams. You will not find a more passionate bunch who want their games to succeed. Enable them. Trust them.

So much promise, so many missteps along the way

Former Employee - Producer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LucasArts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture and lifestyle of the brand is so amazing - working on Star Wars products with hundreds of people who love star wars is like nothing else you'll find in the industry. And you know that if something really comes together well and has a chance to be big, they will market it and sell that thing as well as any publisher.

Cons

For too long, LucasArts is not really a game company. its a side hobby because games = entertainment and George wants to be known as a leader in entertainment. So for decades he's funded a games company... but no one at the top respects games or how they're made, and they certainly dont know how to foster quality products.

Learn about game design. its the one thing that makes games different from film or pure animation: the interactivity of a controller/keyboard/etc. The user being able to move a camera angle or not play as expected is the X factor in saying something's fun/high quality/great. you can spend all you want but that won't ensure a 90+ metacritic game. and stop pretending that it's one big company that works together to make great stuff. the ILM + LucasArts thing has been a bunch of nonsense forever. stop acting like it matters if ILM works on game tools, and separate things once and for all.

There are newer employer reviews for LucasArts

Worked for LucasArts? Contribute to the Community!