Lucasfilm
www.lucasfilm.com San Francisco, CA 500 to 999 Employees

It's nice but what's up with the politics and management?

I have been working at Lucasfilm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Decent salaries and benefits.
- Great location in the Presidio.
- A lot of good co-workers (non-management), willing to help you out.
- Most of the time it's engaging work.
- Pretty cool to say you work for "Star Wars".

Cons- Micromanagement from the boss.
- Unprofessional bosses - temper tantrums, swearing, criticizing other employees (and sometimes even *their* managers) to you, constant complaining that they don't have enough time to do their work (same with us but you don't see us complaining!)
- Very political (considering we're not working on Capitol Hill.)
- Not much growth opportunity.
- Too much work, not enough time.
- No credit for your work sometimes or the boss takes the credit for it.
- Managers who make themselves look good at the expense of the employee.
- Unclear communication from the boss and then they blame you if things go wrong.
- Bad communication between different departments resulting in last-minute emergencies, duplication of jobs, missed deadlines.
- Slow to get things done. Less talking and meetings, more doing.
- Not given the proper tools to do your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know it has to be a truism if everyone is saying the same thing. So much of the problem is management (from high up to the smallest department level.) When employees meet around the water cooler, 50% of the time it's to vent about our bosses because we feel we can't go talk to HR without fear of some kind of subtle reprisal.

Stop being so controlling and trust that you have hired good, competent people who can do their jobs without needing management looking over their shoulder.

Support your employees and treat them fairly instead of being the "big boss" and wanting things always your way. It's not always the best way.

In a recent articles from Forbes:
Bad bosses destroy our health.
Bad bosses undermine our success.
Bad bosses cost money.

Don't be a bad boss.

Pretty great as a first job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lucasfilm as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Lots of connections to people who are in the industry. I… Cons: It seems that most of the employees find it a great job except there is always a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good place to work, it is...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lucasfilm as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: I was there a little over three months and I had a completely positive experience working on "Red Tails". Everyone worked so well together towards… Cons: I wish they understood the importance of socialized business. We worked hard to bring this to the company and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Lucasfilm.

Worked for Lucasfilm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lucasfilm reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lucasfilm CEO George Lucas. All reviews posted anonymously by Lucasfilm employees.