There are newer employer reviews for Lucasfilm

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lucasfilm

Pros

Our work locations are beautiful and we get to work with smart people who care about what they do on a day-to-day basis. This company really cares about what's important to its employees. Things such as growth and learning opportunities and employees' interests outside of work are respected and considered.

Cons

The company is structured such that many promotions are based on the opportunity to move into an open position (i.e. someone has to leave for the next level job to become available). While this isn't an unusual structure at all, some people resent it.

Continue to listen to what's near and dear to employees' hearts.

72 Other Employee Reviews for Lucasfilm (View Most Recent)

Once you're out, you realize how bad it is

Former Employee - Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lucasfilm

Pros

There's only one reason to work at Lucasfilm-- a personal pride in saying you do. To be fair, some of the people here are very smart and fun, but on reflection they are the exception not the rule. The building and campus are very nice, too.

Cons

Pettiness. Infighting. Politics. This is one of the most childish, immature, envy-based environments imaginable. The years I worked there I thought it was great, and now that I have been out for a while I could not be happier. They keep good people down and have an attitude of control that goes beyond secretive-- it's paranoid. The unhappiness comes from the top and works its way down. There's no pride in the end product except on the creative side. No transparency. No professionalism. Claims to be "familial" but in actuality that familiarity is used to the disadvantage of employees; you're trapped in a little box and they'll never let you out. Forget about real promotions or the ability to rise from the inside. There's no growth potential, and no sense of fun in the end. It never seemed that way to me.... until I got out.

Be professional. REALLY professional. Start treating your employees with respect. A nice gym and sushi at lunch don't count. Quit making people fearful of management. And for God's sake, get rid of some of your "leadership." Many of your senior executives are downright embarrassing.

Casual work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lucasfilm

Pros

Beautiful place to be working. Even if you are not a hardcore Star Wars geek, you will enjoy working here.

Cons

The location is somewhat isolated. IP is taken very seriously, so employees always have to be careful what they say.

The management team does a great job of providing a real sense of community to the company's employees, especially given the breadth of work being done.

There are newer employer reviews for Lucasfilm

Worked for Lucasfilm? Contribute to the Community!