Lumeris

www.lumeris.com
  www.lumeris.com
There are newer employer reviews for Lumeris

I drank the Kool-aid but now it's turning sour

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Lumeris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most part, the people are really great. There are a lot of smart, talented, hard working people at this company. Also, I still believe/hope that the product and services have the potential to have a significant positive impact on the way health care is delivered.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that I think we are creating a terrible company culture under the guise of being a scrappy start up that requires all hands on deck at all times. People don't take their vacations, but, if they do, others don't think twice about interupting them. The CEO is establishing a culture where everyone is expected to be available at all times. People are not being recognized or rewarded for hard, often choosing work over their families. When the CEO does recognize how hard everyone is working it isn't a "thank you" it's announced as if it's an expected part of the job. It goes beyond just expecting hard work, and I think that even after we do establish a solid foot print in the market, this culture will be difficult to reverse. We also don't take the time to celebrate accomplishments, which I think would help keep morale up.

Strategy is so all over the place that it is difficult to keep up. Our executive team is full of smart, talented people, but they've become yes men to the CEO. Everyone will be having a good debate on a conference call, but as soon as the CEO joins the call the conversation changes to "oh yes, that's brilliant" and then we're off in some new crackpot direction. People are criticized for taking actions that aren't consistent with the current strategy, but, really, who can keep up with the ever changing strategy?

Salaries are only competitive in certain areas of the company. Other benefits such as raises, bonuses, and stock options are inconsistently granted. Bonuses are kind of a joke because it doesn't appear that you can ever get 100% of your target bonus.

Set an example from the top. Work like a team. Provide input to the CEO if the new strategy doesn't make sense, or at least do a better job of communicating the new strategy. Standardize compensation, bonuses, and benefits. Acknowledge and reward your teams for working hard instead of acting like working 24/7 isn't extraordinary. Appreciate your people. They're good, talented people, but they are burning out fast.

38 Other Employee Reviews for Lumeris (View Most Recent)

Management by ADHD

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Lumeris full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good people in staff and lower management positions that are great to work with. Salaries are competitive to generous, depending on the role. The basic concept behind Lumeris (changing the way health care is managed) is important and worthwhile. HR has made recent efforts to create some semblance of a company culture, but they are late to the game (and a little misguided)l.

Cons

While the concept behind Lumeris is sound, the strategy and execution of same leave much to be desired. I was with the company for several years and marketing strategies were routinely scrapped and re-tooled every year. Management's ability to focus and execute has led to slower-than-expected growth, project delays and lost clients. Meanwhile, while upper management is chasing the latest shiny object, real needs that could improve the way employees do their job or the quality of information delivered to management are ignored. Systems that were recognized as woefully inadequate several years ago are still in place today with no plans for replacement. The executive team comes across as non-collaborative and often petty, with distinct silos existing throughout the company. There is a serious lack of accountability among upper management. Budgets are a running joke. Bonuses are paid regardless of company or personal performance. Incentive compensation plans are very poorly defined (if at all). Overall, it feels like a very mercenary environment, with a lot of management hopping on the wagon in the hopes of riding the company to a public offering and a big payday. Don't hold your breath.

Turnover is high, probably 20-25% annually. Involuntary terminations are frequent, as the company would rather part ways with a good employee whose job has changed and is no longer a perfect fit. Employee development is non-existent.

Start and end with management accountability. In between, provide employees with the tools they need to do the job.

Exciting, rewarding place to work, but not for everyone

I have been working at Lumeris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full of really smart, competitive and passionate people who are experts in their fields. Compensation is at least market average. The flexible schedules / work from home options really add to the work life balance. As with any start up, employees are not pigeon-holed into one set roles/responsibilities but instead expected to take on a wide range of responsibilities and often have to find their own network of individuals within the company to partner with to get things done.

I suspect many people would find this as a Con, but being an experienced professional coming from a huge company, I find this very liberating. Reading the other reviews out on this site, I do not really disagree with most of them (except the personal attacks) but rather I see many of the cons as opportunities and differences from working in a large, established bureaucracy where you are told exactly what to do and how to do it. Yes, management often changes direction and does not do a good job communicating, but I believe that is because everyone is moving very fast and trying to capture a big piece of a quickly emerging market. Yes, there are big personalities and many competing visions of what the company 'should' become. But again, I find this exciting and feel like I too have the ability to influence the direction of the company too. Yes, we are 'running hot' and there is a chance we may not make it to the finish line, but if we do we will have something exciting to show for all the hard work.

This is a great place to work for those who are confident in their ideas and willing to fight for what they believe is the right way to do things. This is not the company for those who would rather come to work every day knowing exactly what you are expected to do and slowly work their way up the corporate ladder.

Cons

The company is distributed across three geographies and there is a lack of interest in properly involving the two satellite offices in meetings or conversations. For example, video conferencing is rarely used and teleconferencing etiquette is non-existent; making it very hard for remote employees to contribute effectively in meetings. Too many decisions are made in the hallway or an office and never communicated to the organization.

Benefits are definitely not what you will get at a big company. Career paths are not clearly defined and promotions do not follow a regular process. There isn't much of a corporate culture or identify yet and many departments are silo-ed and feel more like clubs than teams.

HR does not have that much power to affect real change and it is unclear how much the employees will benefit if/when the company reaches its goal of becoming the market leader in helping to transform healthcare delivery in America.

Be honest and upfront with new employees to make sure they understand what they are getting into. Share more information to all employees about what it takes to be successful here. It doesn't have to be about doing x, y and z or about getting the next promotion. But whatever the criteria for success is, it should be clearly explained to all employees.

Most importantly though, I think this company needs to invest heavily in tele/video-conferencing technologies and processes/procedures. It is really tough to be a remote team member when most people are in a room together and everyone is talking at once. It is down right embarrassing, though, when the CEO is talking to a room full of fully engaged people in the home office and the other two offices are not able to participate (or even follow the conversation) because video conferencing is not working properly .

There are newer employer reviews for Lumeris