Management by ADHD

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Lumeris full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some good people in staff and lower management positions that are great to work with. Salaries are competitive to generous, depending on the role. The basic concept behind Lumeris (changing the way health care is managed) is important and worthwhile. HR has made recent efforts to create some semblance of a company culture, but they are late to the game (and a little misguided)l.

Cons

While the concept behind Lumeris is sound, the strategy and execution of same leave much to be desired. I was with the company for several years and marketing strategies were routinely scrapped and re-tooled every year. Management's ability to focus and execute has led to slower-than-expected growth, project delays and lost clients. Meanwhile, while upper management is chasing the latest shiny object, real needs that could improve the way employees do their job or the quality of information delivered to management are ignored. Systems that were recognized as woefully inadequate several years ago are still in place today with no plans for replacement. The executive team comes across as non-collaborative and often petty, with distinct silos existing throughout the company. There is a serious lack of accountability among upper management. Budgets are a running joke. Bonuses are paid regardless of company or personal performance. Incentive compensation plans are very poorly defined (if at all). Overall, it feels like a very mercenary environment, with a lot of management hopping on the wagon in the hopes of riding the company to a public offering and a big payday. Don't hold your breath.

Turnover is high, probably 20-25% annually. Involuntary terminations are frequent, as the company would rather part ways with a good employee whose job has changed and is no longer a perfect fit. Employee development is non-existent.

Start and end with management accountability. In between, provide employees with the tools they need to do the job.

Other Reviews for Lumeris

Passion and potential but not friendly environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Maryland Heights, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at Lumeris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission, innovative, great for health plan experience

Cons

All emphasis placed on software side of company which is unstable. Health Plan has many talented employees but morale is terrible. Work/life balance is discouraged. Compensation is not competitive. Benefits are embarrassing.

Exciting, rewarding place to work, but not for everyone

I have been working at Lumeris full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full of really smart, competitive and passionate people who are experts in their fields. Compensation is at least market average. The flexible schedules / work from home options really add to the work life balance. As with any start up, employees are not pigeon-holed into one set roles/responsibilities but instead expected to take on a wide range of responsibilities and often have to find their own network of individuals within the company to partner with to get things done.

I suspect many people would find this as a Con, but being an experienced professional coming from a huge company, I find this very liberating. Reading the other reviews out on this site, I do not really disagree with most of them (except the personal attacks) but rather I see many of the cons as opportunities and differences from working in a large, established bureaucracy where you are told exactly what to do and how to do it. Yes, management often changes direction and does not do a good job communicating, but I believe that is because everyone is moving very fast and trying to capture a big piece of a quickly emerging market. Yes, there are big personalities and many competing visions of what the company 'should' become. But again, I find this exciting and feel like I too have the ability to influence the direction of the company too. Yes, we are 'running hot' and there is a chance we may not make it to the finish line, but if we do we will have something exciting to show for all the hard work.

This is a great place to work for those who are confident in their ideas and willing to fight for what they believe is the right way to do things. This is not the company for those who would rather come to work every day knowing exactly what you are expected to do and slowly work their way up the corporate ladder.

Cons

The company is distributed across three geographies and there is a lack of interest in properly involving the two satellite offices in meetings or conversations. For example, video conferencing is rarely used and teleconferencing etiquette is non-existent; making it very hard for remote employees to contribute effectively in meetings. Too many decisions are made in the hallway or an office and never communicated to the organization.

Benefits are definitely not what you will get at a big company. Career paths are not clearly defined and promotions do not follow a regular process. There isn't much of a corporate culture or identify yet and many departments are silo-ed and feel more like clubs than teams.

HR does not have that much power to affect real change and it is unclear how much the employees will benefit if/when the company reaches its goal of becoming the market leader in helping to transform healthcare delivery in America.

Be honest and upfront with new employees to make sure they understand what they are getting into. Share more information to all employees about what it takes to be successful here. It doesn't have to be about doing x, y and z or about getting the next promotion. But whatever the criteria for success is, it should be clearly explained to all employees.

Most importantly though, I think this company needs to invest heavily in tele/video-conferencing technologies and processes/procedures. It is really tough to be a remote team member when most people are in a room together and everyone is talking at once. It is down right embarrassing, though, when the CEO is talking to a room full of fully engaged people in the home office and the other two offices are not able to participate (or even follow the conversation) because video conferencing is not working properly .

There are newer employer reviews for Lumeris.

Worked for Lumeris? Contribute to the Community!