There are newer employer reviews for Lush

An engaging and fun work environment. I love the team-sell approach!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Lush part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company's ethos and the products themselves are part of the main reason why I love working at LUSH. We use amazing ingredients for our luxurious products- they actually work! In addition, our company is very dedicated to sustainability and giving back to the community.

Cons

At times, making sales benchmarks could be a bit stressful. However, this is part of my job to be able to handle the stress and busy times.

I have worked at 2 LUSH's thus far, and senior management at both shops are supreme. They always give words of advice and encouragement. I have learned a lot about retail and LUSH as a company- they keep me excited about my work here.

71 Other Employee Reviews for Lush (View Most Recent)

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Lush

Pros

50% off all items! I'm pretty sure this was my main reason for staying with Lush. Their products are AMAZING but expensive. Everyone who works there are friendly and is always happy to help or answer any questions you have. It's probably one of the only retail stores you can work at where you can really let loose-- they encourage it! Dance around the store, laugh as loud as you want, and crack jokes. Another great part about working at Lush are the weekly parties and the prizes you win from sales contests. It keeps your spirits up and motivates you to work harder.

Cons

They REALLY go hard with the sales goals. At one time, my goal was to make $600 in one hour. And yet, I only got $9/hr before taxes. The job requires lots of studying. You must know every single product from what they do to what ingredients they are made out of. You really have to LOVE people in order to enjoy this job. You're literally expected to be happy and energetic ALL the time. You have to push people to buy, buy, buy which is what annoyed me the most about this job. I hate playing the role of a pushy fake sales associate but there was no way around it. Even the training manual they give you teaches you how to push and trick people into buying more than they wanted to. The management is HORRIBLE (ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE) at making schedules. There was not one week that I didn't have to confront the manager about the messed up schedule. I had to constantly remind them that I cannot be scheduled for work on certain days, and yet they would still give me a shift. Also, this may vary from store to store, but there is often petty drama among the workers. Although we're all smiley all the time, it can get pretty nasty.

PLEASE... Have consideration for the employee's schedule. We work to live, not live to work. We have lives outside of our jobs.

Terrible overall, with few redeeming qualities

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lush

Pros

The discount
    The products are truly wonderful and innovative
    You can dance at your job and talk to people all shift long
    I met a few really nice coworkers who also hate the place now

Cons

Management in the State street store was absolutely HORRIFIC
    Terrible communication from management down to seasonal staff
    The Manager and Manager in Training were never on the same page about things
    We were often told the wrong information
    Seasonal staff were given the most unpleasant jobs/shifts but treated the worst
    All of the seasonal staff were told that at least half of us would be kept onto core staff, but after the holidays were done, they fired us all with no explanation (basically, they used us to sell gifts and up sales during the busy holiday season, and got rid of us when they didn't need us anymore)
    You are in no way compensated enough
    The discount is not worth it, as you end up spending about half to all of it at the store anyway because it is so tempting and they do not give you enough hours (AND they send you home during your shift if it is slow)
    The shifts are all over the place, and even though they say you can trade shifts, if you get three write ups, you're gone

I really believe in the founders of Lush and Lush's products, but the store managers are absolutely clueless as to how to run a store efficiently. They do not know how to treat their employees well, and are short tempered. They also have no understanding of the necessity of having a work/life balance. The more creative and intelligent you are, the worse you are treated because you are not just a sheep taking orders.

There are newer employer reviews for Lush

Worked for Lush? Contribute to the Community!