Weird rating system and not enough consistent work

Former Employee - Driver  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, if you like driving (which I do), fun way to see the city and discover new little streets, sometimes fun to meet people, fast payout.

Cons

Really silly rating system - I just got fired from Lyft for having a 4.52 rating out of 5. Granted, I don't drive for them that much - I have a 6 month old baby and am in school full time so some weeks I don't even get out there, but in the short time I drove for Lyft - a month and a half I didn't really get enough of a chance to improve my rating. I didn't have enough rides and with a couple ratings by jerk passengers I was toast. I steadily did improve my rating over the few weeks and few rides I did, but it didn't matter to Lyft's arbitrary system. If I had more time in my daily schedule, I would have gone out and racked up the rides so I could improve the rating faster, but I don't have time to work every week.

- a lot of people do not realize that 4 stars is a bad rating. I asked a few people and they did not know this. They don't understand why Lyft gives them 5 different rating levels when really there are only two rating levels - five stars and not five stars.

There is not enough work to go around most days. Way too many drivers - which is how they can get rid of so many drivers. There is a ton of turnover. Sometimes you can go out and make 14 bucks over the course of 2-3 hours. And then you have to pay for gas and car maintenance on top of that so most hours there is not a consistent amount of work. They hired too many drivers and then had to get rid of some so they just fired a bunch of us. Works well for them but sucks for the drivers.

You might be playing with fire when it comes to insurance. Thank god I never had to find out if my insurance would cover me in an accident - but it did make me a little nervous.

Most passengers are really nice and conscientious people - but there are a lot of people who do not have enough respect for the fact that you are driving them around in your personal car breaking your back so you get the five star rating. Passengers will rate you badly for not being able to stop on the block they are waiting on. Passengers will rate you badly - or just four stars - if you do not speed up to drive through a yellow light. In a system where only a five star rating will do and even a bunch of four star ratings will get you fired, it's too much luck of the draw as to who you will get as a passenger and how they will feel if you call them and ask them if it's possible for them to cross the street so you can pick them up. I totally understand the passengers - if someone was not able to stop on the block I'm waiting on because of bad traffic, I might consider the experience only a four. But it is totally demoralizing for the driver.

Get rid of the rating system. Maintain all of your drivers and treat them like nonexpendable assets. Only deal with a driver specifically if there is a complaint against them, and in that case ask both sides to give their version of the events.

Other Reviews for Lyft

Indentured servitude

Current Employee - Driver  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Driver in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Lyft part-time for less than a year

Pros

App works great
    Pick your hours
    Easy screening process to become driver

Cons

Riders are cheap when it comes to tipping, most don't tip at all
    Too easy for riders to give low rating even when it's not warranted
    Not enough work to make any real money
    Lyft hiring more drivers even though there's not enough work for current staffing level
    No camaraderie
    Company seems to be posturing for a buyout
    Personal Auto insurance cancellation if you drive for any TNC

Show some loyalty to the income earners. You treat the office wimps like royalty while treating the drivers like peons.

Shady Company!

Current Employee - Driver  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Lyft part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to get hired as a driver.

Cons

Dishonesty, lack of ethics, horrible customer service. They will tell drivers that everything has been cleared in their city, but nothing has been cleared. Many drivers in AZ have been given heavy fines (over $2000) and cited by the police. Protect yourself because Lyft will not.

Stop using leading drivers into illegal business!

There are newer employer reviews for Lyft.

Worked for Lyft? Contribute to the Community!