There are newer employer reviews for Lyft

Great platform to make relatively quick money.

Current Freelancer - Driver/Independent Contractor in San Francisco, CA
Current Freelancer - Driver/Independent Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Lyft is a very easy platform to use, and your work schedule is completely flexible. Furthermore there are more positive incentives to increase productivity than not. Patrons are generally pleasant. Company support is always amicable and non intrusive. Compensation is always quick and relatively generous.

Cons

In order for work shifts to be worthwhile, one has to work longer hours to compensate for driving expenses. Patrons can be trying at times. Also as a driver Lyft will not consider you an employee legally or otherwise however Lyft is in the habit of vocalizing employee expectations to contractors whilst exempting them from the rights and benefits of employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Lyft

Flexible and great extra income!

Current Freelancer - Driver and Mentor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Freelancer - Driver and Mentor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a full time student and I have another job as waitress. Lyft gives me the flexibility to do both and have an extra income!

Cons

It can be slow sometimes and you have to wait awhile for a ride request which in turn can make your income unreliable.

Great Until they lowered driver's pay to $5-$10 per hour

Current Freelancer - Driver in San Diego, CA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

I've loved meeting so many interesting people. With two notable exceptions, I'd welcome back everyone I drove in my car. I've loved the flexibility, as I have a mentally ill sibling that I need to check in on regularly. And up until three weeks ago, the pay was great.

Cons

We drivers are given a timesheet where we're supposed to request the hours we want to drive. It's constructed on a grid, with the hourly rate posted in each square. A month ago, the lowest number offered was $10 in the middle of the work week. Busy hours--morning and afternoon commute times, evenings were from $15 to $20, with Friday and Saturday nights going up to $25-$35, with the highest numbers at late night. Several weeks ago, more hours offered $10, and then a few $5 hours popped up. These low pay rates have increasingly been offered, and the $20 and higher were lowered to $15. And now, this next week, with the exception of 12am-3am Sat. night, which offers $15, the busy times will pay $10 and all the other hours will pay $5.

Advice to Management

There's no way you can keep quality drivers at this pay rate. This past weekend, I drove four long-time drivers who were quitting, and were bitter and quite vocal about it. This is terrible PR. Plus, the move to extreme low pay smacks of cynicism and greed. And the new drivers that we helped recruit will quickly leave when they realize they fell prey to a bait and switch scheme.