There are newer employer reviews for LyondellBasell

Lots of opportunities, steep learning curve...Upper management needs some work

Current Intern - Instrumentation and Electrical Reliability Engineering Co-Op I in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, I felt right at home at LYB. They gave me meaningful assignments, and I learned a lot!

Cons

Lots of young engineers. During my time, many engineers quit from lack of benefits/money. Upper management needs to figure out how to hold on to talented engineers, or this company will fall again.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep turnover rates low with engineers.

reviews filtered by

Employees suffer due to their lack of organization and teamwork within management

Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I worked at LyondellBasell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation package with benefits

Cons

They create a atmosphere where you feel guilty for leaving on time. Does not prmotoe a work and family balance. If you dont have the "protection" of a good manager, you better watch your back, because the lack of trust, teamwork, and organization is rampant throught their management teams.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the good ol' boy and girl network in management

Employer of Almost-Last Resort

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at LyondellBasell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can have a variety of work experiences, but be prepared that most of them might end up being by the hard way. You will have more than enough to do and you won't be bored. It's not a bad place to work if you have no alternatives.

Cons

The company hasn't been the same since Basell came into the picture. The company used to be a fun place to work and very team oriented. Now it seems that they do everything they can to screw the employee to help line the pockets of the major shareholders. All decisions that are made are done on a business case with no concern to the employee. Staffing levels seem to be at a minimum or below level and management does not seem to be concerned. They seem to believe that highly experienced and talented employees can simply be replaced by co-ops, summer interns, and new hires. Mid-level management seems to be running scared and simply do what their superiors tell them. Instead of building a progressive company, it seems that they have regressed back to the "because I said so" management style of the 50s.

Advice to Management

Change course - the sooner the better and start treating your employees better.