M.C. Dean, Inc.

www.mcdean.com
  www.mcdean.com
There are newer employer reviews for M.C. Dean, Inc.

Where work can be rewarding

Former Employee - Project Administrator II in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Project Administrator II in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are very competative

Cons

communication between the corporate office nad the satelite offices could be improved

listen to your employees they might have information that you do not

81 Other Employee Reviews for M.C. Dean, Inc. (View Most Recent)

Solid place to work with potential for career advancement/training opportunities

Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great career advancement program throughout the company

Cons

Seems to be a higher than normal turnover rate in some areas of the company however this is balanced out by very long term seasoned employees

A great place if your an electircian, but look elsewhere if you're not

Former Employee - Office Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Office Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc.

Pros

They are the largest non-union electrical contractor in the DC-area, so it's great if you're an electrician. If you're in other lines of work, the best reason, and perhaps the only reason, is that you may get the opportunity to be granted a Top Secret/SCI security clearance. You will also get a chance to work on some interesting jobs. The benefits are decent, but pretty much standard, with a relatively low-cost to employees. The people without "Manager" in their title are great to work with.

Cons

As other reviewers have stated, they use a bait-and-switch hiring practice where you interview for one job, but then are hired into another. I interviewed with what was suppose to be an assistant project manager position, to be trained as a project manager. So I was surprised when I received an offer letter that said "Office Engineer I". I was told MC Dean was just reconfiguring job titles and the responsibilities would be more or less the same. It turns out that an Office Engineer is an engineer who works in the office. How exciting, and I'm not even trained as an engineer.
    Also in line with other reviewers, everything is a priority, so therefore nothing is. When I was given a task, I would ask what was the deadline for completion. I was usually told just do it now, and then I would later get scolded for not completing the task when it needed to be done.
    Management is devoid of leadership. They are good at managing projects, driving revenue, and developing new business, but you won't find any ability to lead human beings. Employees are treated like resources that can be managed like a box of tools. That's great for meeting project and profit goals, but a poor way to grow an organization. In my particular group, only 1/3 of the current work force has been here for more than 3 years. Just in the last year alone the turnover rate is well over 50%. Very few employees have any sort of guidance on a career path, despite some graphic on the HR website. Raises are only given to valued employees when they are trying to leave for another job. Bonuses are completely arbitrary, issued at the discretion of the manager. Reviews are sometimes published without discussion with the employee. Salaried employees are expected to punch in and out daily, and still do a timesheet.
    If MC Dean is truly your best option, do your best to stay away from the Anti-Terrorism/Force Protections Group (ATFP), also known as Applied Technologies Group (ATG). And if you must go there, keep your resume fresh and start looking for a new job as soon as your security clearance is granted.

Take some courses in leadership. Figure out how to inspire your people to want to work for you besides a paycheck.

There are newer employer reviews for M.C. Dean, Inc.