M&T Bank

www.mtb.com
  www.mtb.com
There are newer employer reviews for M&T Bank

A great place for an internship

Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

The bank is very committed to meeting individual employee needs-- I needed to take an afternoon off for an emergency doctor's appointment and my boss was completely understanding. My coworker needed a last minute day off to care for a sick child and their boss not only agreed but also recommended their personal babysitter for future use. In general they are understanding about any types of personal emergencies and holiday requests (from my experience). I was given useful tasks on a daily basis and felt like I was actually impacting the company instead of just pushing around a bunch of papers.

Cons

The building was an icebox- turn down the airconditioning! Generally coworkers were helpful and constructive, but some could be harsh with criticism. Some employee roles were not completely defined which sometimes caused confusion as to who was to do what and when.

Make sure all departments are on the same page when it comes to duties and responsibilities, both on an individual and department level. Management's communication sometimes lacks clarity and depth.

291 Other Employee Reviews for M&T Bank (View Most Recent)

Not open to reality --- slow mover.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Some great smart people but too many levels of management. If you had relatives or a friend above you could go places.

Cons

Technology wise they liked to try and build their own systems rather than buy something that was off the shelf. Not smart paying tons of IT people to write software that took 3 years to build, when for 20K they could have bought it and better? Consider them 5y or so behind tech wise compared to most banks.

There are a number dealings with M&T that I can't really talk about.
    In a nut shell, Sr. Management handled a known problem very badly.
    I left after repeated issues escalated.

Hire better "people" and those who have a better mind for innovation.

Well managed, conservative bank good during tough economy.

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

Great work environment, conservative well managed bank. The Bank recently announced its plans to acquire Provident Banc in Maryland, which will enhance the company's reach and growth prospects in the mid-Atlantic region. Layoffs tend to be rare and are almost always related to mergers with other banks so job security is a plus.

Cons

Lack of career advancement options if you're not part of the few selective development programs. Also, it may be difficult to meet senior management without spending at least sometimes in the headquarters in Buffalo.

Compensation, whie not bad, could be more competitive.

There are newer employer reviews for M&T Bank