Poor Planning, Irrational Management, Disorganized Chaos Blamed on Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MAP Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Co-workers are intelligent, pleasant, and committed to MAP's projects and purpose
Attractive campus
Complimentary food and beverages
Promising product platforms

Cons

Few forward-thinking, realistic plans
Conflicting priorities and directions given to employees
Communication and decision disconnects between management
VPs micromanaging directors and staff, often with disparate goals
Employees pushed to compensate for poor corporate planning and conflicts

Like so many others who have posted here, the craziness of MAP is even more clear to me now that I'm away. It's a very unpleasant place, with many dedicated but unhappy workers. I've heard the same frustrations voice over and over again across departments and levels of organization regarding unrealistic expectations, an obsession with fault-finding and blame, a lack of understanding when high-risk decisions lead to problems, and a real failure to appreciate the good and hard work people do. Management occasionally takes a few minutes to thank everyone for their hard work, but that doesn't mean the approach to poor planning, poor resourcing, and unrealistic timelines ever changes. I've heard so many people say, "No matter what I do, it will never be enough here." The high rate of attrition also makes it hard to do the job right in such a small company--resources become further constrained and with each departure, more history and seasoned experience is lost. I would give this advice to the "leaders" of MAP:

Think ahead, and don't assume that you can bully teams into producing quality work in any timeline you choose, especially when you keep changing team goals and directions. Decisions need to be made in appropriate time frames for people to stay on schedule. Give your teams clear communication on where and how to focus, and stick to it--you actually can't have everything, and if you want more, you must staff more. Stop reactionary, punitive management--your teams are great, they just need clear and reasonable missions. HEAR what people are telling you, and believe it--you can push and seem to get your way, but there will be (and have been) repercussions in your staff and in your schedule. Stop wasting people's time with workplan templates, especially when project plans already exist. Back off and let senior management do their jobs without your constant involvement. We are competent professionals, not puppets.

Other Reviews for MAP Pharmaceuticals

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at MAP Pharmaceuticals

Pros

CFO and BD and Clinical are good departments. But they just can't be good enough to make up for the systemic problems with MAP.

Cons

It was by long way the worse place I ever worked. Now I am working in a respectful company again. You do not fully realize how unhappy you were at MAP until you leave. The main issue with MAP is with respect and with fairness. Unfortunately I understood why the other comments on this site about MAP were very negative. However, the CFO and head of Business Development are extremely talented, charisma, good mannered polite men who deserve their success. These guys are very high quality and are destined for better things. However the CEO and the executives who run the actual projects have the most influence on the company and morale but they don’t have quite the same personal style or skills as the CFO and BD guy. I would strongly recommend you don’t consider MAP as a place to work. But if you have no choice then brace yourself and be prepared to work in a very unique and challenging place. It is very sad that working there does affect your overall happiness. But at least go into the interview of course very positive to be expecting to hear good things– and ask these 20 questions.

1. Is MAP a GREAT place to work?
    2. I assume MAP is not one of those unhappy companies where many people quietly discuss with each other they would love to leave if other jobs are becoming available. Correct?
    3. I assume how people are treated at MAP (by the CEO and executives who run the projects ) is how you would like to think your mother, sister or son is being treated every day in their workplace. Correct?
    4. What do you guess the executives think they are doing to retain, respect and motivate people
    5. What do the staff think that the executives are doing to retain, respect and motivate the staff
    6. How realistic are the timelines set by the CEO and executives who run the projects? E.g. I have heard of other companies that sometimes set timelines that everybody knows are impossible – and then unnecessary serious compromises are made on other deliverables so they will be ready just in time for the big impossible event. I assume this is not an issue at MAP. Correct?
    7. How realistic is the workloads they give people
    8. How flexible is the CEO and executives who run the projects on reprioritizing and resetting goals when priorities change
    9. When companies worship goals (just because they are goals) and hate changing them – it often makes people keep working on a goal even when it’s become the wrong thing to do. I assume this is not an issue at MAP. Correct?
    10. How effective is the communication between the executives themselves – and then down to the rest of the company
    11. How experienced in the right expertise is the CEO and executives who run the projects – does the staff trust them and respect their judgment and decision making
    12. I assume at MAP like all great places to work there is no blame culture and the staff are comfortable breaking bad news to the CEO and executives who run the projects. Correct?
    13. I assume at MAP like all great places to work the management style of the CEO and executives who run the projects is respectful teamworking and supporting the staff when things go good or bad– and not a severe style with hostility and blame. Correct?
    14. I assume at MAP like all great places to work the CEO and executives who run the projects are not prone to shouting, bullying, insulting and hostility to the staff. Correct?
    15. I assume the different departments are treated equally - and the staff see MAP is a fair, respectful place to work. Correct?
    16. I assume at MAP like all great places to work, the HR offices is mostly quiet with no management complaints to deal with because MAP is a harmonious respectful place to work that is run so fairly, respectfully and rationally. Correct?
    17. I assume the CEO is working at the right level and does not micromanage. Correct? (e.g. I’ve heard of CEOs at other companies who spend time going into deep details like individual line items on junior workers workplans, or detailed research on flight deals, one at a time, just to save $100 on individual flights by adding exhausting stop-overs etc and other similar trivial things etc). I assume this is not an issue at MAP. Correct?
    18. I assume like all great companies the CEO sets a good example at the top for fairness, honesty and respect (i.e. treats all staff as team members on the same team and not insulting and hostile like enemies when discussing things like budget planning or workplans etc). I assume this positive role model style filters down through the VPs to create the great company culture. Correct?
    19. Some companies tell their workers that they have power to influence and build the company culture. But this not always possible if the CEO and executives at some companies have a very strong, overpowering and severe style. I assume this is not an issue at MAP. Correct?
    20. Finally, can you summarize for me with examples the positive impact on the company culture from the CEO and executives that everybody can see.

the culture is already fixed with very strong personalities at the top with a very harsh style, it is their natural style so it would probably need a new management team to come in and shake things up to make the culture more inline with other modern companies

I would rather be homeless than work here again.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MAP Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Very few pros; however, most of the people at the mid to lower levels are great and the product is a good idea but very poorly managed. I'd say Saturday and Sunday are the best part of his job, if you can manage to avoid working weekends.

Cons

If I could give this company a zero on the rating system, I would. The dysfunction is nearly indescribable. Senior Management is made up of unprofessional newbie executives who rule as a fascist dictatorship using fear, intimidation, favoritism and nasty politics. They are unethical, dishonest, and without class or honor. Which would all be bad enough, but they also disregard the basics of drug development and have few company standards, methods, and processes. Their inexperience engenders distrust and micro-management on a epic level that is impossible to deal with on top of actually getting the work done. Consultants and experienced people are ignored allowing the strongest personality to win by forcing their opinion using endless meetings as weapons. There is zero project management which results in a lack of foresight and long-term, enterprise planning that is appalling. Project deadlines are set at the whim of the management and then enforced with no option for adjustment despite logistical issues, major research setbacks, and serious quality problems. If they weren’t so mean-spirited and small-minded they might actually be pathetic.

Management needs to stop expecting things to be done right away to meet arbitrary, often disconnected time lines and instead focus on ensuring things are done correctly, with thoughtful planning and adequate review. They need to stop putting their personal gain (cash bonuses and stock awards) ahead of the good of the company, the product, and the employees who they expect to work endlessly to help them make even more money. "Rewarding" employees with a $10 gift card just doesn't cut it when executives are receiving thousands of shares of stock. They need to improve benefits (try 401K matching for a start) and stop blatantly lying, stabbing people in the back at meetings, and withholding bonuses as punishment. They need to stop being petty tyrants and start being good people. This is probably too much to ask considering their personalities, so the only way to fix this company is to get a new senior management team.

There are newer employer reviews for MAP Pharmaceuticals.

Worked for MAP Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!