MD Anderson Cancer Center

www.mdanderson.org
  www.mdanderson.org
There are newer employer reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center

Core Values taking a back seat to money and egos?

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mission to cure cancer is worthwhile. Providing life-giving treatment to cancer patients is it's own reward. Some of the most brilliant and dedicated oncologists and healthcare professionals in the world work here. Very good employee benefits and excellent retirement plan if you can stay for the long haul.

Cons

The big business of caring has taken a back seat to egos and money. Lack of trust in upper management is at an all time high and getting worse. Fear of retaliation is a problem for a reason. Upper managers seem to think themselves untouchable. Some areas are chronically short staffed and staff have to work in ridiculously tight spaces.

Cut the fat at the top and give the front lines enough staff and support to provide the quality of care our patients deserve. Get back to treating all staff with caring, integrity and discovery- not just paying lip service to our core values and putting flimsy band aids on the real issues.

342 Other Employee Reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center (View Most Recent)

A lot of smart, amazing people, great place to learn

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have a lot of opportunities to learn, great gym, lots of wellness related options.

Cons

Not much growth opportunities for people in research, especially RAs. Very low pay, if you are in research.

It was mix of good and bad

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I could work on hi-fi research at a faster pace. Work on several projects at the same time. The first year was very good.

Cons

Despite MD Anderson being the best place to work, My professor was showed no encouragement and appreciation for the efforts. Also the friday group meetings are a nightmare. There was also personal bias and racial discrimination involved. Your job satisfaction fell so bad lots of times - I believe this totally depends on who your mentor is.
    However, MD anderson as a whole is the best place to be employed

Monitor the Professor and his/her interaction with lab research people more closely.

There are newer employer reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center