MD Anderson Cancer Center

Esteem-killing job

Former Employee - Scientific Editor in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Scientific Editor in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

Workplace amenities: post office, cafeterias, public transportation nearby, good Intranet for in-house communications

Cons

My supervisor did not give me performance standards for my job until I had been working there for 4 months.
Excessive workload
Esteem-killing feedback

Ensure that all supervisors get training in supervision at M. D. Anderson, even if they have had training elsewhere

341 Other Employee Reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center (View Most Recent)

If your're not a nurse or doctor don't waste your time!!

Former Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

Great pride working for one of the top cancer hospitals in the world.

Cons

Very hard to transfer to different departments, They say you can transfer after 6 months of employment but unless you know someone in management you can't move anywhere, If you are not a nurse or doctor you will get NO respect, They tend to look down on nursing assistants, clerks, secretaries etc... You might as well be invisible.

Management has a real problem about choosing favorites. It's extremely unfair to the employees to watch management goof off and appoint their "favs" raises while your busting your butt for nothing. They should also be required to take classes in proffesionalism as well.

Review for M.D. Anderson Cancer Center

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

It is the number 1 ranked cancer hospital in the United States and it feels great to work for an organization that has such a vital and worthwhile mission. There is more of a "family atmosphere" as compared to other jobs that I have had in "Corporate America". Work/life balance is encouraged and respected. It is a very secure and stable place to work (part of the University of Texas, healthcare, multi-billion dollar annual revenues, receives large private donations). Employees are automatically enrolled in TRS (teacher's retirement - it's a pension plan).

Cons

It is run by doctors from the top down and there is a feeling at times that "the inmates are running the asylum". Decisions appear to be made by listening to whomever squeaks the loudest as opposed to stepping back and making strategic decisions for the good of the organization as a whole.

Run the hospital more like a business. Have business people set strategic direction for business outcomes and do not let doctors override those decisions because they don't like the decisions made. Walls need to be "broken down". Information needs to be strategically shared and more incentive needs to be given for working for the greater good of M.D. Anderson (as opposed to upholding individual fiefdoms).

There are newer employer reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center