MEMC Electronic Materials

www.sunedisonsilicon.com

Don't work here unless you're desperate

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Pasadena, TX

ProsThe pay is pretty good for an engineer, though slightly inferior to others on the channel. It's almost larceny that operators are paid >30% over market yet engineers don't despite not a huge difference in pay, especially when OT is offered to operators.

ConsThe silicon market for next two years (2012-2014) sucks so layoffs have occurred and will recur. They force the engineers to work out of trailers right next to the Operating facility which handles hydrogen and silane gas which are both explosive. Remember BP Texas City in 2005. The trailers are falling apart and very noisy and hot in summer. Huge safety issues with high injury rate in the last few years and large "we didn't invent it here" philosophy. Most engineers are H1-B so communications in English are very difficult and they are very careful to not ask too many questions. In other words, indentured servitude. Turnover is rampant like Taco Bell.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of pretending to back new and creative ideas necessary for the plant service, i.e. lip service, be willing to take risks. Also, hire competent experienced engineers who know what the hell they're doing instead of green grunts who blunder through helplessly in a dangerous process.

A very good job in a bad location

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MEMC Electronic Materials full-time

Pros: The R&D team is very strong and most people know… Cons: The area the company is located is in the middle of nowhere. It is even difficult to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

MEMC is not a company to be

Auditor (Former Employee) Saint Peters, MO

I worked at MEMC Electronic Materials full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: I don't have any nice thing to say about this… Cons: Company culture is awfull especially the top management No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on MEMC Electronic Materials.

Worked for MEMC Electronic Materials? Contribute to the Community!