MFS

www.mfs.com
  www.mfs.com
There are newer employer reviews for MFS

It's all about who you know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at MFS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Medical insurance is cheap. Dental is free. Defined contribution plan that is 100% vested after 5 years of service. Lots of vacation time.

Cons

-Lots of layoffs
-Pay is low
-Hard work is not appreciated or rewarded
-Independent thinking is frowned upon.
-There are only three ways to advance at this company: 1) you are related to someone in upper management; 2) you are family friends of someone in upper management; or 3) you know how to kiss up to management.

Nepotism should never be allowed. Promotions should be based on hard work and doing the job well.

87 Other Employee Reviews for MFS (View Most Recent)

Slow, for me any way

Current Employee - Rep in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Rep in Boston, MA

I have been working at MFS

Pros

The company has good benefits and is well positioned in the market place for growth in the next few years. MFS has a good over all reputation and under some circumstances is a good place to work. The company has an over all positive attitude and most if not all of management is available for all associates to talk to. There is good communication and management for the most part is open about what is going in within the company. MFS does try to promote from within where possible. The vast majority of my managers came up through the ranks so they are aware of issues with doing the work and what the metrics mean on the reviews and are willing to work with you on various things. I can't think of a single person over my tenure that I was unwilling or unable to work or get along with on some level.

Cons

To advance you need to advocate for yourself very heavily or have some sort of inside track. My experience has been limiting. I've been with the company 10 plus years and have not advanced very far despite repeated efforts to go beyond the original job I was hired for. I don't know if it was me just not being in the right place at the right time, I didn't schmooze with the right people or I was just plain slow on the uptake but I have little to no career advancement to show for my efforts. After talking to various managers and HR people over the years the only advice given was words along the lines of "just work harder". There is only so hard you can work before you realize that you aren't getting any where while others around you advance. I know you shouldn't measure your own progress by others but there is a difference between little advancement and no advancement.

It was a good experience but was basically the epitome of the corporate cubicle job I have tried to avoid for years.

Former Employee - Client Service Representative I in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative I in Quincy, MA

I worked at MFS

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Looks great on your resume
    -I greatly improved my ability to speak with customers over the phone especially when the situation can get tense.
    -I made some great friends at MFS
    -I learned a good deal about mutual funds and retirement accounts

Cons

-Very low pay. Few bonuses
    -Corporate stuffy culture
    -Very bland work unless you are extremley motivated by finance and are willing to put in the two years and hard work it takes to move on to the inbound sales team
    -Constant beeping in your ear for the recorded line and also when a call comes in
    -Nitpicking people who "score" one phone call per day for you. A small deduction can give you a failing score and three of those per month can really ruin your "performance" as seen by management.
    -Limited break time. Everything is timed by your phone even your 15 min break for the day
    -The threat of being fired early on was tough because it takes a little while to get the hang of all the systems and rules and people got fired more frequently than I have seen at any other job.
    -Commuting to Quincy sucks. Horrible traffic all the time. The building is in pretty much the worst spot where no matter what way you go it takes about 20 minutes to get to the building once off the highway.
    -Being literally 1 minute late is a big deal because a few lates per month and you do not qualify for certain recognition or are put on warning.
    -I basically went crazy after exactly 1 year which is how long I promised myself and my parents I would stay and then I got the hell out.

-The two year committment is silly. MFS loses a lot of talented people they do not even realize are talented because they are hell bent on keeping you in customer service for at least two years until you can move up. There should be a better bonus structue to keep people in customer service based on performance to accomplish this.

There are newer employer reviews for MFS