There are newer employer reviews for MGM Studios

Fun

I worked at MGM Studios part-time for more than a year

Pros

They care about their employees. They are quick to move employees up in the company. Very nice staff. Security was always watching out for staff. I felt I worked in a very safe environment.

Cons

I really didnt have any downsides. My late work schedule yes, but at a casino you can work at all hours

Great Work!

25 Other Employee Reviews for MGM Studios (View Most Recent)

Autonomous internship, is what you make it

Former Employee - Acquisitions Intern  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Acquisitions Intern in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MGM Studios as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned for the director of acquisitions over the summer (unpaid). I was with one other intern for a week and then on my own for the rest. It was pretty autonomous, really just me doing the things my boss needed (research on up and coming movies, phone calls to find available distribution territories, etc.) One thing I learned from this internship (my first real legitimate internship) is that you can really do what you want on the job as long as you're doing something valuable. My job was making a database and making phone calls, but I would get all these emails with scripts in them as I was supposed to record simple info about the movies. I started reading the scripts, sending my bosses coverage reports. They liked it. They listened to my advice. This was the real good part of the job. I loved reading scripts, loved being involved in some form of art, learned a lot. My bosses were nice guys, smart, had some good advice when I asked.

Cons

MGM is a recently reconstructed company after a bankruptcy- there really was not an internship program set in place. Not a whole lot of direction or training or advice. Little supervision, nothing structured. Sometimes feels like you're just doing little tasks and making spreadsheets for the bosses unless you seek out knowledge and seek out learning. You've gotta ask for it. Also little access to people you can relate to. The office was mostly middle aged people who liked movies working at desks. No other college kids. I felt pretty isolated a lot of the time. Also, as far as continued connections from the company.. there are pretty much none. It was almost impossible to reach the guys I worked for to get the internship, and they don't seem to have the time to respond to emails or write brief recommendations now. Though they did give me some solid feedback at the end of the summer. Also, hiring opportunities seem pretty nonexistent.

Old Hollywood at it's not-so-best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plush old-style Hollywood offices (I worked at the Constellation Blvd address). Some star sightings - Tom Cruise was around quite a bit. Interesting to work with people who had been in the business for decades.

Cons

Stuck in the old Hollywood era. Continued to have the us vs them attitude between upper management and those who were in the lower ranks. Office was so quiet you could literally hear a pin drop. And who pays $15,000 for each door in the executive suite??

A little less old, a little more new (while still respecting your roots).

There are newer employer reviews for MGM Studios

Worked for MGM Studios? Contribute to the Community!