MGO

www.mgocpa.com
  www.mgocpa.com
There are newer employer reviews for MGO

Stable, growing firm with integrity

Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at MGO

Pros

Big firm talent and experience but in a smaller, more personalized setting. MGO is a stable, growing firm with big plans and good opportunities for those who take on the challenge. Leaders care about employee development and job satisfaction. I have been here over three years and have been impressed by the technical skills of other professionals as well as the commitment that the partners have to improvement and learning in a variety of areas, from employee relations to training to expanding into new service lines. There's never a dull moment at this firm, so if you are looking to be "stagnant," this isn't the place for you.

Cons

Growing organizations face "growing pains" challenges. The firm has acquired two other firms during the time I've been here, and there have been some hiccups with that. We also face challenges as we try to implement or upgrade our programs and systems, because we've gotten much bigger quickly. There is always room for improvement in communicating firm issues and goals, not just here but at every organization I've worked for. It's difficult to "get the word out" to the entire firm when you have 6 offices and many practice areas. Having enough people and resources to get the job done efficiently and quickly is a general challenge in my department.

Keep the feedback coming and don't forget to give people kudos for a job well done. Consider more "edgy" programs in staff retention, training, marketing and client relations.

38 Other Employee Reviews for MGO (View Most Recent)

Doing ok, could use some improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at MGO

Pros

It is a good place to receive experience doing governmental assurance work. Also, the kitchen is usually well stocked.

Cons

Management does not communicate changes well to employees, they tend to keep people in the dark until the very last minute and by then people are already talking about whatever it is they were trying to keep quiet.

Be more communicative of changes to the firm. Keep people informed earlier on before people start hearing snippets of information and trying to piece together what's going on. Also, in order to be "one firm" sometimes you need to spend the time and money to make the employees all feel like they're part of one firm, each office & department is still very much their own "silo."

Ken needs to come out of semi-retirement

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at MGO

Pros

It is nearly impossible to be fired, unless you are totally incompetent. Even then management is more likely to lay you off with some excuse. Macias Gini and O'Connell still do a holiday party every year even with the down economic times. The best reason to work here is the staff. The staff are easy going and are generally excited about a beginning as most of the staff come straight from college. The new hire staff bring excitement to a rather boring industry. Macias Gini and O'Connell service large government bodies so there is the chance for future job placement in those locations.

Cons

The main down points are that there is no feedback during the year. The vast majority of the employees feed backs come during the annual evaluation. After the annual evaluation the employee will have to wait until the next year to see if they fullfilled the expectations of management. This concides with another downside, the strength of management. As in a good majority of firms that I have worked at the managers and senior managers are merely staff that has been promoted (you're length of employment determines promotions not your ability) through the ranks, but contain no type of managment skills or training.

Senior Managment and managers in general should be required to take some managment courses. Most preferrably a Master in Business Administration degree, but just something would be a great help. Just becuase you are given a title does not mean you know what you are doing.

There are newer employer reviews for MGO