There are newer employer reviews for MIT

MIT Lincoln Laboratory is a friendly, academic environment in which many thrive

Former Employee - Intern in Lexington, MA
Former Employee - Intern in Lexington, MA

I worked at MIT

Pros

There is so much to be done in the defense industry that the Laboratory has a wide array of projects and activities. Because these are problems that no one else has solved, you often have to start from the bottom up, which provides you with a great learning opportunity. Everyone is friendly and supportive and openly shares their knowledge and skills. The environment is very laid back, but the work is still challenging. Also, because of the nature of the business, projects are always rotating, which allows employees to tackle on a huge range of problems in their time there.

Cons

I honestly have very few complaints about MIT Lincoln Laboratory. It was a great place for me to work, but it may not be for everyone. If you thrive on the corporate competitiveness, you may not thrive at the Laboratory; it is a semi-academic environment that relies in shared knowledge and cooperation instead of competition. The salaries are fair and the benefits are amazing, but they may not pay quite as much as the private sector; this doesn't seem to be an issue for many people who find the benefits and flexibility to be more important than the exact pay.

Advice to Management

Transparency is beneficial in the long run.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. My first review

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MIT

Pros

Working at MIT has lots of smart people, which I think is one of its biggest assets. In addition, with a wealth of good professors, there are many good courses and good resources if you get stuck. Finally, there is lots of robotics and computer science research going on, with everything from autonomous aerial vehicles, ground vehicles wheelchairs, underwater robots, among others. In addition, professors are supportive of travel to conferences around the world, and there are resources to get funding for travel even if you can't find funding otherwise.

Cons

Health insurance is included, but dental is not included.

Advice to Management

nothing.

2. Best place to work but you have to work hard to prove yourself.

Current Employee - Postdoctorate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctorate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MIT

Pros

It has tremendous resources for professional improvement

Cons

Administrative part of MIT does not work properly. You might be lost somewhere in the system.

Advice to Management

I don't think it would be a problem to work as a senior manager. MIT offers a lot of benefits