There are newer employer reviews for MIT

Amazing resources and opportunities, high pressure environment

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Graduate Student in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MIT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The faculty and financial resources are better than at any other academic research institute I know of (from conversations with peers). There is (for better or worse) quite a large value associated with the name, and with this comes an expectation to publish in high-impact journals.

Cons

The expectation to publish in high-impact journals creates a high-stress situation, since for the most part the research is conducted in very fast-moving fields.

499 Other Employee Reviews for MIT (View Most Recent)

Discover your passion but wait!!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant At MIT in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant At MIT in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MIT part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. A loootttt of resources: easy access to new technology, great library, awesome athletics center, free food, ton of activities, etc..
    2. Friendly people: Every one has achieved great things in life but they are usually very modest.
    3. Relaxed work environment: In my opinion, there is a difference between relaxed and hectic work. MIT probably has one of the most hectic work schedules, but it is relaxed. There is no dress code even for Professors. I can take time off easily to do paper work, visit the doctor, etc.
    4. Safe: Cambridge is quite a safe place to live. Great dedication by the MIT and Cambridge police!!
    5. Time management: One thing that every one at MIT learns to master over the years.

Cons

1. As a graduate student, you may have no say over your research topic.
    2. Professors will most likely not help you find a job. There are certain industries where this can be a huge disadvantage.
    3. MIT is definitely a great school! It makes me feel like Harry Potter who made it to Hogwarts. Imagine a Harry who cannot become an auror or anything related to Defense against the dark arts because "NO sponsorship will be provided for such jobs under any circumstance". Suddenly, Harry gets a job as a reporter for the Daily Prophet. Sometimes you may think that Harry would have been happier had he not realized that he was a wizard.. MIT GECD (Global education and career development) center should probably employ more knowledgeable staff to help us understand these possibilities and circumvent this disadvantage.

MIT GECD (Global education and career development) center cares only about statistics.

postdoc @ MIT

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MIT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there is a lot to learn, the experience is overall nice, amazing people from all over the world

Cons

the salary is low, high level of commitment, most weekends in the lab

There are newer employer reviews for MIT