There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Good place to work for people who seek stable & idle life

Current Employee - Senior MultiDisciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior MultiDisciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

* work/LIFE balance
* Good benefits (health/retirement/PTO, etc)
* competitve starting salary

Cons

* many seemingly interesting projects actually turn out to be a powerpoint engineering job; workload doesn't exist at MITRE since the money is from government. That's why you can have work/life balance and good pay+benefits.
* at caasd only two kinds of skills are needed: air traffic management (ATM) related and JAVA, while at c3i, cyberspace security is the core topic. (still, it requires computer skills) As for analytical skills, as long as you have the degree and graduate from a prestigious school, that's sufficient.
* MITRE is more like an IT company than a real engineering & research company.
* direction is not clear even at higher managements. It takes time (weeks or months) for them to make collective agreement.

Advice to Management

make soft-shell easier. Let the employee have the freedom to participate what projects they really are interested in.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It is a pleasure to wake up in the morning and go to work.

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in New Carrollton, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in New Carrollton, MD

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

MITRE has flexible work schedule that allows a good work-life balance. However, there are times when client and project requirements demand more than the normal 40 hours. There is a culture of high quality in all the work we produce for the client.

Cons

The client is the Federal government and often I see exciting projects outside of the Federal space that I would like to be involved in.

Advice to Management

In some parts of employee evaluation, process is more important than outcome. Management needs to evaluate whether the process is stifling effective relationship with employees.

Amazing work/life balance, fantastic benefits, instant credibility

Current Employee - Econs/Business Analyst, Lead AC4 in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Econs/Business Analyst, Lead AC4 in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

- "guit by association" - The government often immediately thinks I'm an expert without me having to prove anything, simply because I work for the company with all the 20# brains.
    - Work-life balance isn't just lip-service, it's real. Sure we all have to 'surge' from time to time, but if you're regularly working 50-60 hour weeks, something is wrong.
    - Benefits are top-shelf. Retirement and health plans are gold plated.

Cons

- Promotion/career path is not well defined; varies by department/division. Some people get hired and get promoted quickly simply becuase they're in the right department or on the right project.
    - P&D (performance & development) process is burdensome and doesn't really seem to matter in the end.
    - Tip: get hired at a high level (AC4 or AC5) that will be satisfactory for a long time...because promotions are inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Promotion process needs greater transparency; I'm happy where I'm at...but I do marvel at some of the promotion rates I see in other departments/divisions. Some are dismal (30+ year AC4s, 5-year AC5s, etc). No consistency.