There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Good place to work for people who seek stable & idle life

Current Employee - Senior MultiDisciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior MultiDisciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

* work/LIFE balance * Good benefits (health/retirement/PTO, etc) * competitve starting salary

Cons

* many seemingly interesting projects actually turn out to be a powerpoint engineering job; workload doesn't exist at MITRE since the money is from government. That's why you can have work/life balance and good pay+benefits. * at caasd only two kinds of skills are needed: air traffic management (ATM) related and JAVA, while at c3i, cyberspace security is the core topic. (still, it requires computer skills) As for analytical skills, as long as you have the degree and graduate from a prestigious school, that's sufficient. * MITRE is more like an IT company than a real engineering & research company. * direction is not clear even at higher managements. It takes time (weeks or months) for them to make collective agreement.

Advice to Management

make soft-shell easier. Let the employee have the freedom to participate what projects they really are interested in.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Peope are friendly and the parking garage is handy

Cons

No bonuses low salaries gym charges $20/month for EMPLOYEES. food in cafeteria is expensive No training budget,,,

Advice to Management

let people go get some training for their positions to better themselves.

Amazing work/life balance, fantastic benefits, instant credibility

Current Employee - Econs/Business Analyst, Lead AC4 in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Econs/Business Analyst, Lead AC4 in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

- "guit by association" - The government often immediately thinks I'm an expert without me having to prove anything, simply because I work for the company with all the 20# brains. - Work-life balance isn't just lip-service, it's real. Sure we all have to 'surge' from time to time, but if you're regularly working 50-60 hour weeks, something is wrong. - Benefits are top-shelf. Retirement and health plans are gold plated.

Cons

- Promotion/career path is not well defined; varies by department/division. Some people get hired and get promoted quickly simply becuase they're in the right department or on the right project. - P&D (performance & development) process is burdensome and doesn't really seem to matter in the end. - Tip: get hired at a high level (AC4 or AC5) that will be satisfactory for a long time...because promotions are inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Promotion process needs greater transparency; I'm happy where I'm at...but I do marvel at some of the promotion rates I see in other departments/divisions. Some are dismal (30+ year AC4s, 5-year AC5s, etc). No consistency.