There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Excellent

Former Employee - Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
Former Employee - Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Good work. Good people. Good sponsors.

Cons

Long promotion timeframes and small salary increases.

Think outside the systems engineering (BS, MS) mentality in terms of people. Only choose middle managers based upon "business" and "people" skills. Technical expertise is a distant third in priority.

433 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Excellent experience and I would highly recommend this environment to anyone who is technical.

Former Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Talented individuals, open-minded, free-thinking, and cooperative. About 20% of the people have PhDs and more than 60% have a Masters.

Cons

Bureacracy which is not a surprise at any medium to large sized company. Federal work can be challenging, working with the latest and greatest technologies, but it can also be limiting in that your work mainly in areas of defense and a few civilian federal agencies. A broader involvement in other industries would be nice but not possible.

Coordinate better in a matrix type environment. Focus more on management who have the ability to handle personnel issues. Technical leaders may need to be just that technical leaders but not necessarily managers because they were successful leading a technical effort. There are managers who should not be managing people - people are the greatest resource and strength of an organization such as MITRE.

MITRE has provided me many opportunities and enabled me to move around to find a good fit.

Current Employee - Economic/Business Analyst  in  Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Economic/Business Analyst in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

People are very proud of the work they do.

Cons

Many people have been here a long time are are resistant to change.
    The company operations are often inefficient because each center operates independently.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!