MITRE

www.mitre.org
  www.mitre.org
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

For a Fortune 100 company for years in a row; I was highly disappointed.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

decent average pay, nice benefits and perks IF you can even find time or permission to use them. was in VA location. had cafeteria in house which was pretty good food. had a shared office, not a cubicle which was nice. free parking garage to park in and had own Mitre staffed security for premises. business casual dress, Friday jeans.

Cons

had almost no training program besides "ask this person to explain it to you" from people who are busy doing their own jobs to want to worry about yours, along with a "why are you bothering me again, isn't there someone else you can ask?" type of attitude. A supervisor who could not do my job besides explain the gist of what is needed. also no cross training between co-workers in same department meaning my deliverables due each month could not be completed by anyone besides myself (where and when can I take time off properly? what happens if I get sick? ) especially to know I would come back to a stack of work.

get used to change and embrace it. your competitors even around you are going to jump past you and leave you in their dust. one down side to tiered architecture of business is that it is very resistant and slow to change. Get on that. Stop resting on your laurels and past accomplishments of what you have done and reach out to the realm of what you haven't done and ask yourselves why you cannot attain that level of greatness right now. why are you not at the top? why are you happy with 50 to 100th best and not moving up the ranks instead. Take a look at your employees underneath you and see if they are truly offered help to get adjusted quickly but also easily to the Mitre way of life. I don't know what your HR is doing along with upper management. People at Mitre are too comfortable in what they're doing and do nothing outside of their own realm. Even people who have lived here their entire lives are told I work at Mitre. They instantly ask 'who/whats that"? yet Northrop, Accenture, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young, Lockheed, Boeing, and the list goes on of other local companies these same people know right off the bat. Management, wake up call. you might be big and known in government but when your pool of applicants comes from the public and you are looking to nab the best of the best employees away from your competitors, it would help if they even know who you are. there's no recall so in marketing terms, your "brand" is trash even within your local community. that enough to light a fire under you?

452 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Great company, dedicated to the Nation's security

Current Employee - Principal Multidisciplinary Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Multidisciplinary Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people, focused on the mission of our sponsors. Very technically focused and innovative. Staff have the opportunity to be creative and define their work.

Cons

Officers making decisions that do not support keeping staff engaged (e.g., reduction of vacation days, re-organizing and getting rid of Group Leaders and Associate Department Heads).

Think through the impact of the decisions you make

Fine place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Flexible hours, can leave for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day and make it up later that evening, or just use 2 hours of vacation
    - Not really any pressure to ever put in more than 40 hours, though lots of others seem to do so
    - Volleyball nets, softball field, and basketball court on the campus; several groups typically play at lunch or after work
    - Options to work from home
    - Great retirement benefits
    - Plenty of paid time off
    - Everyone has an office (shared with one other person) - no cubes except for office administrators; this includes ceiling-high walls, doors, and even the lowest level employees can end up with a window if they're lucky
    - You have a say about the type of work that you do. If you want to do server code, just tell your boss or ask your co-workers if they know any projects looking for server coders. If you want to switch to user interfaces, ask around for a project that needs a UI coder. Lots of projects are looking for people year-round so usually you can find something vaguely in line with your interests.

Cons

- Getting your first promotion is mostly based on time spent at the company, typically 3-5 years depending on your manager. Getting a second promotion can take as long as 10-15 years.
    - Raises aren't too significant and sometimes don't even cover cost of living
    - The annual ratings process is in such a way that if everyone does an equal job, some will arbitrarily get chosen to be top performers and others will get chosen to have needed improvement; there's no way for everyone to get good reviews if everyone does good work
    - While some of the work is interesting, it's not exactly the most exciting of fields to get into

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE