Where work/life balance is more than just lip service

Current Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
Current Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible environment of professionalism. Freedom to embrace the various aspects of working for an FFRDC, whether it's supporting our Government sponsors with their most strategic challenges or researching and developing new solutions for use across multiple agencies.

Cons

Slow growth potential. Working for Government sponsors can sometimes breed an attitude of "it's been tried 100 times before" and not embracing new, innovative approaches.

Empower staff to make clear, committed career decisions based on transparency between what is organizationally in demand and what our Government sponsors need most to improve their agencies.

Other Reviews for MITRE

Great work and work environment

Current Employee - Lead Communications Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Communications Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very smart people, employees work together as opposed to competing against one another, valuable work, excellent work/life balance, great benefits

Cons

Low churn rate makes the organization top heavy

keep it up!

For a Fortune 100 company for years in a row; I was highly disappointed.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

decent average pay, nice benefits and perks IF you can even find time or permission to use them. was in VA location. had cafeteria in house which was pretty good food. had a shared office, not a cubicle which was nice. free parking garage to park in and had own Mitre staffed security for premises. business casual dress, Friday jeans.

Cons

had almost no training program besides "ask this person to explain it to you" from people who are busy doing their own jobs to want to worry about yours, along with a "why are you bothering me again, isn't there someone else you can ask?" type of attitude. A supervisor who could not do my job besides explain the gist of what is needed. also no cross training between co-workers in same department meaning my deliverables due each month could not be completed by anyone besides myself (where and when can I take time off properly? what happens if I get sick? ) especially to know I would come back to a stack of work.

get used to change and embrace it. your competitors even around you are going to jump past you and leave you in their dust. one down side to tiered architecture of business is that it is very resistant and slow to change. Get on that. Stop resting on your laurels and past accomplishments of what you have done and reach out to the realm of what you haven't done and ask yourselves why you cannot attain that level of greatness right now. why are you not at the top? why are you happy with 50 to 100th best and not moving up the ranks instead. Take a look at your employees underneath you and see if they are truly offered help to get adjusted quickly but also easily to the Mitre way of life. I don't know what your HR is doing along with upper management. People at Mitre are too comfortable in what they're doing and do nothing outside of their own realm. Even people who have lived here their entire lives are told I work at Mitre. They instantly ask 'who/whats that"? yet Northrop, Accenture, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young, Lockheed, Boeing, and the list goes on of other local companies these same people know right off the bat. Management, wake up call. you might be big and known in government but when your pool of applicants comes from the public and you are looking to nab the best of the best employees away from your competitors, it would help if they even know who you are. there's no recall so in marketing terms, your "brand" is trash even within your local community. that enough to light a fire under you?

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!