There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Started off great....and is rapidly nose diving.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-Life balance,benefits and starting salary.

Cons

Overwhelming pressure to find new projects to work on...either it works with what you are trained to do , or not...for example I'm a systems engineer who spent 7 months working on Microsoft Productivity software since I had no new task and my older project had been cut and would no longer receive funds. GL's and upper management should step in and actually help does who need new projects to make new connections outside of the center to help you find new and suitable projects...don't have an engineer spend 7 months slamming his head against a keyboard. Expanding into the new centers is very difficult and practically taboo. All centers behave as independent "companies".

Advice to Management

New Technology is coming...Social Media..Simulations..advancement in computers and data...stop trying to make everything that is new sound like it will not help the company....your competition is well beyond MITRE....you introduce old technology to late...you embrace the new to late...you let you "youthful" employees leave and depend on older "old wood" to embrace new technology. Also what is MITRE's identity? Are we Contractors? Advisors? Developers? R&D?

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

Flexible workplace

Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work arrangements can be very flexible, as long as the project lead and government customer agree. Opportunities are there to pursue leading edge technology through innovation projects. Relatively easy to move from project to project and pursue technical interests. Technology refresh of computers every 3 years. Multiple ways to connect remotely.

Cons

The federal government is the customer and ultimate decision maker, so frustration may be high at times when decisions are made for political reasons rather than economic or technical reasons. Pressure to find new assignments when one project comes to an end, especially when the government stops funding in the middle of a task. Work force is more senior so trying to use social technologies is frustrating and slow

Advice to Management

Don't spend so much time trying to motivate with corporate programs. Focus on a framework that encourages employee innovation instead of employee participation

2. Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible and relaxed atmosphere. Good place to pick up and learn from.

Cons

None so far... I will provide updates when there is one.