There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

It has been an unbelievable place where intellect and contributions matter.

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a place that your mission is being objective for the public benefit, your true shareholders. You are given the tools that you need, plus the freedom to do what is right.

Cons

The process to teach a new person about the culture of MITRE is still an "on the job training." However, things are improving and we are making a better job in mentoring new employees.

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

Gets worse with every year

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good peers, Starting Salary, company fitness center, 401k (before they reduced the company match)

Cons

Management is disrespectful of IT technical staff. Work / Life balance and ability to work from home in IT is a joke as management seldom allows it to be used. If you do take time off, it is held against you in your next review. No comp time or compensation for working overtime or taking cell phone calls after hours is given in our department MITRE does not allow 360 reviews of managments, so reviews are a one-sided process. . There is no cross training. Management talks about wanting new ideas, but when you offer anything that is remotely different from what your manager believes in, be ready to be called a rabble-rouser. In the last year, 401k match and vacation time has been reduced. The federal government now has more paid holidays than employees at MITRE. I have no idea what HR does. They appear to be afraid of management.

Advice to Management

If your 20+ year managers with their 1950 attitude of “it is my way or the highway", don't want to change with the times you need to replace them. If Senior Management doesn't take steps to immediately to improve the workplace conditions in IT, you are going to need to hire additional HR staff to process resignations once the economy improves.

Started off great....and is rapidly nose diving.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-Life balance,benefits and starting salary.

Cons

Overwhelming pressure to find new projects to work on...either it works with what you are trained to do , or not...for example I'm a systems engineer who spent 7 months working on Microsoft Productivity software since I had no new task and my older project had been cut and would no longer receive funds. GL's and upper management should step in and actually help does who need new projects to make new connections outside of the center to help you find new and suitable projects...don't have an engineer spend 7 months slamming his head against a keyboard. Expanding into the new centers is very difficult and practically taboo. All centers behave as independent "companies".

Advice to Management

New Technology is coming...Social Media..Simulations..advancement in computers and data...stop trying to make everything that is new sound like it will not help the company....your competition is well beyond MITRE....you introduce old technology to late...you embrace the new to late...you let you "youthful" employees leave and depend on older "old wood" to embrace new technology. Also what is MITRE's identity? Are we Contractors? Advisors? Developers? R&D?