Important job

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My work helps the US Federal Government more effective. My role is "trusted knowledge advisor" and I use data-driven products/prototypes to recommend a course of action. MITRE has a lot of emphasis on education and is paying for my master's degree. The government has a lot of problems, and as opposed to complaining (which we all should be encouraged to do) I have chosen a course of working to make things better. I am not a government employee, but my job is to make them more effective. I have good flex time, but that is project-dependant (as opposed to a corporate mandate). MITRE has subscriptions to hundreds of electronic resources (such as full IEEE everything) and I have been able to research well.

Cons

MITRE teams usually are small, so I don't get the same type of production environment I was used to in the commercial sector (large software development), but I am trusted, empowered, and able to find good, challenging work. Good is the enemy of great, and there is little great at MITRE - lots of smart, competent people, but the red tape of government frequently thwarts our abilities to achieve the best. Like I said, we can advise, but have no authority. This means I have to influence through being awesome and inspirational, rather than through telling someone what to do. :)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It has been an unbelievable place where intellect and contributions matter.

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a place that your mission is being objective for the public benefit, your true shareholders. You are given the tools that you need, plus the freedom to do what is right.

Cons

The process to teach a new person about the culture of MITRE is still an "on the job training." However, things are improving and we are making a better job in mentoring new employees.

Started off great....and is rapidly nose diving.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-Life balance,benefits and starting salary.

Cons

Overwhelming pressure to find new projects to work on...either it works with what you are trained to do , or not...for example I'm a systems engineer who spent 7 months working on Microsoft Productivity software since I had no new task and my older project had been cut and would no longer receive funds. GL's and upper management should step in and actually help does who need new projects to make new connections outside of the center to help you find new and suitable projects...don't have an engineer spend 7 months slamming his head against a keyboard. Expanding into the new centers is very difficult and practically taboo. All centers behave as independent "companies".

Advice to Management

New Technology is coming...Social Media..Simulations..advancement in computers and data...stop trying to make everything that is new sound like it will not help the company....your competition is well beyond MITRE....you introduce old technology to late...you embrace the new to late...you let you "youthful" employees leave and depend on older "old wood" to embrace new technology. Also what is MITRE's identity? Are we Contractors? Advisors? Developers? R&D?