MITRE

www.mitre.org

Important job

Senior Software Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsMy work helps the US Federal Government more effective. My role is "trusted knowledge advisor" and I use data-driven products/prototypes to recommend a course of action. MITRE has a lot of emphasis on education and is paying for my master's degree. The government has a lot of problems, and as opposed to complaining (which we all should be encouraged to do) I have chosen a course of working to make things better.

I am not a government employee, but my job is to make them more effective.

I have good flex time, but that is project-dependant (as opposed to a corporate mandate). MITRE has subscriptions to hundreds of electronic resources (such as full IEEE everything) and I have been able to research well.

ConsMITRE teams usually are small, so I don't get the same type of production environment I was used to in the commercial sector (large software development), but I am trusted, empowered, and able to find good, challenging work.

Good is the enemy of great, and there is little great at MITRE - lots of smart, competent people, but the red tape of government frequently thwarts our abilities to achieve the best. Like I said, we can advise, but have no authority. This means I have to influence through being awesome and inspirational, rather than through telling someone what to do. :)

It has been an unbelievable place where intellect and contributions matter.

Principal Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: It is a place that your mission is being objective for the public benefit, your true… Cons: The process to teach a new person about the culture of MITRE is still an "on the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Gets worse with every year

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Good peers, Starting Salary, company fitness center, 401k (before they… Cons: Management is disrespectful of IT technical staff. Work / Life balance and ability to work from home in IT is a joke as management seldom… Advice to Senior Management: If your 20+ year managers with their 1950 attitude of “it is my way or the highway", don't want to change with the times you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on MITRE.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!