There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Great work variance and opportunities but slow advancement unless located at major corporate locations.

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer  in  Huntsville, AL
Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work environments with lots of opportunities to work on multiple projects. Openings are posted on the intranet site and available for current employees to apply for. Working half time on 2 projects is common.

Cons

Slow advancement with emphasis of efforts located at major corporate locations. There are limited advancement opportunities and is competitive. My observations is that people that work on projects at the major corporate sites fair much better at advancement even if those that don't work there are rated very well.

If advancement is not provided to employees working projects that aren't located at the corporate locations (non-sites), then consider other compensation options.

435 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Bloated and Incompetent Management Damages the Company

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is great. The work is not demanding (though, see below). The people in my department are very pleasant to work with, for the most part. In fact, I might venture to say that MITRE is a bit of a gilded cage -- talented people will not be challenged, but neither will they be subject to the vicissitudes of a roiling job market. You will not have to work long hours for fear of your job.

Cons

There is little genuine "technical" work to go around beyond the usual (and uninteresting) IT and database problems. Much lip service is paid to the provision of something called "technical excellence", but in truth this is just an empty management mantra. The bulk of the available technical work is performed by low-ranking (read: < AC4) engineers, many of whom have advanced degrees, some in the hard sciences like physics or math. Of course, nothing these people say or do is listened to or respected by senior management, most of whom do not possess these degrees, or else acquired them under conspicuously non-rigorous circumstances.

Further, there is little opportunity for PhD-level scientists and engineers to advance. They are paid significantly less than their non-technical peers despite doing most of the difficult work, and they are accorded pitiful raises even when their reviews are exemplary. This inequity becomes apparent very quickly to new technical hires, many of whom turn right around and leave MITRE for greener pastures within a year or two. This is tragic, really, because MITRE is losing talented people who could do much to enhance its reputation and advance its mission.

Finally, the middle and upper levels of management are bloated and mostly incompetent. I appreciate that task leadership can be difficult, but the majority of our managers don't even try to do their jobs. There's a reason MITRE has been targeted by its counterparts in the private sector for transgressing the bounds of appropriate FFRDC work -- our task leaders and upper managers are incapable of handling sponsor relationships. They lack the discipline to say NO to work that falls outside the terms of our charter; they lack the courage to tell our sponsors the naked truth about their problems, instead allowing politics to dictate the message. There is therefore little to distinguish us from our non-FFRDC peers, who rightly view us as competitors.

Create a true technical track, seek out talent, and treat that talent well. Don't just pay lip service to the idea -- show that you mean it. Promote good technical people, not just the bootlickers and sycophants.

Great Company for the independent minded professional

Current Employee - Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salaries, good benefits nice people

Cons

Not much leadership nor mentoring skills

Improve personal interactive skills

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!