There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

MITRE is a good place to work

Current Employee - Infosec Engineer/Scientist in Bedford, MA
Current Employee - Infosec Engineer/Scientist in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MITRE has good benefits, good people, interesting work, and a good environment. They are very good about work and life balance.

Cons

There are not too many downsides about working at MITRE. The biggest is probably that projects, especially in today's economy, can sometimes go away unexpectedly. There are also times (but not always) where there seem to be too many managers on projects per non-manager.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A well rounded company with lots of diversity and opportunity

Current Employee - Network and Distributed Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Network and Distributed Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nearly limitless opportunity to do cool and unique things - I don't think it's possible to burn out. Every time I've gotten tired of something, I was able to easily move onto a different project - Culture encourages sharing of skills cross-pollination. If you know of someone doing something cool, it's usually not too hard to shift some of your time to that task, even if that task is "owned" by a completely different department. They call it softshelling. - Benefits are pretty good. 4 weeks of vacation time, flexible work hours, and the insurance options are all great.

Cons

- Somewhat older company. As a mid-20, it is a bit lonely at times. Everyone is awesome and friendly, and many of my co-workers are young-at-heart, but sometimes it's nice to be with people my own age - Benefits seem to be slowly going down-hill as the company gets older - The closer you get to the government space, the more red-tape and BS you have to deal with. - It is very difficult to get fired at MITRE. Too often I've seen people with little skill get held onto for no good reason. Once one project team gets tired of them and ousts them, they are just moved onto something else. - Base salary isn't necessarily the best, but the cool opportunities and benefits mostly make up for it.

Advice to Management

Focus more on recruiting and maintaining young talent

2. Great work variance and opportunities but slow advancement unless located at major corporate locations.

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environments with lots of opportunities to work on multiple projects. Openings are posted on the intranet site and available for current employees to apply for. Working half time on 2 projects is common.

Cons

Slow advancement with emphasis of efforts located at major corporate locations. There are limited advancement opportunities and is competitive. My observations is that people that work on projects at the major corporate sites fair much better at advancement even if those that don't work there are rated very well.

Advice to Management

If advancement is not provided to employees working projects that aren't located at the corporate locations (non-sites), then consider other compensation options.