MITRE

www.mitre.org
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Amazing work and benefits, below average pay

Current Employee - Information Security Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Information Security Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work that you can do at MITRE is always interesting and they expect it to be. You can easily shift to a different project if you don't like the one you are on. Also there are very flexible schedules and it is not a problem to work from home.

Cons

The only downside is that you will not make as much as other places. This is balanced by the flexibility.

Making the pay better would do incredible things to keep people.

472 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Good work, management by radom pick

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work can be had. Independent, in-depth, technical with a fusion of other factors. MITRE people can beome very trusted by their sponsors. Good technology support of workers.

Cons

Hands down the biggest con is the management. Management seems to be picked from a small subset of bright-smile people - who haven't demonstrated management skills elsewhere. Currently, this is part of the "generation balance" initiative: Just pick someone from the right age (e.g. 30s, 40s) as the current, new leader (for when the old farts retire). Who cares if they don't have any leadership experience or skills. Hey, maybe a training class will fix it - yeah, right.

The new "MITRE Way" is a return to the former discredited matrix management style. A massive breakdown in sponsor/project leader communications - breaking down task leader, worker, government communications on what is suposed to be worked.

A well rounded company with lots of diversity and opportunity

Current Employee - Network and Distributed Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Network and Distributed Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Nearly limitless opportunity to do cool and unique things
    - I don't think it's possible to burn out. Every time I've gotten tired of something, I was able to easily move onto a different project
    - Culture encourages sharing of skills cross-pollination. If you know of someone doing something cool, it's usually not too hard to shift some of your time to that task, even if that task is "owned" by a completely different department. They call it softshelling.
    - Benefits are pretty good. 4 weeks of vacation time, flexible work hours, and the insurance options are all great.

Cons

- Somewhat older company. As a mid-20, it is a bit lonely at times. Everyone is awesome and friendly, and many of my co-workers are young-at-heart, but sometimes it's nice to be with people my own age
    - Benefits seem to be slowly going down-hill as the company gets older
    - The closer you get to the government space, the more red-tape and BS you have to deal with.
    - It is very difficult to get fired at MITRE. Too often I've seen people with little skill get held onto for no good reason. Once one project team gets tired of them and ousts them, they are just moved onto something else.
    - Base salary isn't necessarily the best, but the cool opportunities and benefits mostly make up for it.

Focus more on recruiting and maintaining young talent

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE