MITRE

www.mitre.org
  www.mitre.org
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

It's a good company but self management goes a long way here.

Current Employee - Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have pretty good benefits, and a great work-life balance. You get to work with smart people on interesting projects.

Cons

The funding is mostly from the government, which in the current market isn't great. It can be hard to get people to collaborate effectively. You need to be able to manage yourself effectively.

Give small teams more financial freedom to make judgement calls based on their own needs.

452 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, no leadership on tough issues

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

As an FFRDC MITRE enjoys a better working relationship with government customers than for-profit contractors. This translates into - no bidding for contracts, ability for MITRE employees to operate objectively as they should, access to the highest levels in government organizations with MITRE staff in key advisor positions with government.

Salaries and benefits have traditionally been very good, but as government contracts MITRE is having a difficult time making the right choices to enable supervising managers to compensate younger staff properly.

Very little management of work program. If you're independent minded, MITRE is a place where you can carve out a niche, get government funding for your effort, and operate autonomously. You just have to be able to turn a deaf ear to the management churn and rhetoric.

Cons

MITRE management states all of the "right" thnigs they should be saying.....we serve in the public interest, we need to tell the government sponsors what they need to hear, not what we think will make them like us, we need to reach across government sponsors to facilitate system solutions. But, their day-to-day decision process does not follow this. The way to get ahead at MITRE is to get the government to send a lot of money to MITRE, find a General Officer who likes you personally and will send awards to MITRE, constantly promote yourself and your program, and never tell the truth in MITRE meetings it is critical of other MITRE management.

In truth, MITRE is a reasonably easy place to manage. We are non-profit and run FFRDCs, so we compete for the FFRDC contract, but after that the government can ask us to do work and send money without much effort for them or us. The hard part is running the FFRDCs in such a way as to acheive all of the goals stated in "The MITRE Way" - the "new" plan for how we should be running the organization. To really help the government at a system level across government sponsors is hard and takes real management. Since we have promoted people who instead follow the "MITRE Way to Get Ahead" we have ended up with people who either don't know how to manage effectively to acheive the stated goals, or have been rewarded and promoted through the years by following another set of rules.

In typical fashion, MITRE management hired an outside advisor to survey the customer and tell them what the senior staff already knew. Individual MITRE employees are very well thought of by their immediate customers, but those same customers both expect MITRE to be doing the system engineering job and at the same time don't think we are. So, MITRE established the new "MITRE Way" to present a good front about what we are doing without really doing what is necessary and that is to really understand how we got to where we are. What they either don't understand or don't care about is that the MITRE Way goals are the result of good management not the way to establish good management.

The end result is that a lot of senior staff have given up on MITRE as an organization and have instead decided to do what they can as individuals. It won't be easy to reengage the core of very capable people who have made that judgment. The organization also suffers from a feeling from more junior and mid-level staff that there is no where to go in their career at MITRE.

Take a deep breath. Really consider what is important to the organization and then reflect on whether the reward system you have established and have been using for the last ten years recognizes the MITRE Way or instead rewards behavior counter to those goals. The staff, particularly senior staff, see right through all of your rhetoric to what is really important to you. The good news is that most of us have stopped listening.

Stop your obsession with outside recognition - awards and such - and focus on internal operations. I only wrote this review because I know that MITRE's new facination is with Glass Door because we are well ranked here now instead of Gallup!

An umbrella corporation supporting several excellent Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs)

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative, supportive environment comprised of many insanely intelligent people. Challenging work.

Cons

Mediocre management in some areas. Limited by FFRDC status as to what projects we can take on.

Introverts do not make good managers. Be careful, too, of perceptions. Misogyny is not a good perception to allow.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE