MITRE

www.mitre.org
  www.mitre.org
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Great place to work with a focus on doing the right things for the right reasons.

Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

There is a strong focus on working in the public interest, even if that means less MITRE staff on the job, the truth is the truth. The leadership tries hard to keep the employees from just falling in line with the government sponsors because it is easy, they work hard to keep us focused on what the government SHOULD be doing.

Cons

Because of the public interest and the support of the government, MITRE does not control it's own destiny the way a private company does. We don't sell things to the government, we try to make the government better and more efficient - sometimes our best work needs to be done where the government is most dysfunctional - that can be hard for employees to do, especially new employees.

Stay focused on controlling costs, we are making progress, let's not get comfortable.

452 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Great place to work for the self-motivated

Current Employee - Senior MultiDisciplinary Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior MultiDisciplinary Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Work Life balance is stressed

Cons

Quasi gov't work and benefits

Moderate growth

Outstanding Place to Learn and Work

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

- Important, satisfying work in the public interest
    - Abundance of technical challenges and interesting, leading-edge technology projects
    - Freedom to learn and grow in a variety of technical disciplines
    - Freedom and mobility to change careers while staying in the same company
    - Great compensation, benefits, training and educational assistance
    - Job offerings at numerous domestic and international sites provide cultural opportunities if you are willing to move
    - Excellent work/life balance
    - Phased retirement that allows company to retain highly experienced staff well beyond retirement age
    - Intelligent, motivated and committed people

Cons

- Congressional ceiling limits company growth and ability to support our nation. While this keeps us focused on the most important work most of the time, the artificial limit is often cause for internal turmoil between competing business units due to the zero sum game.

Stay the course, manage our costs and increase our value proposition. Continue to focus on the most strategic work while creating opportunities for for-profit organizations.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE