MITRE
www.mitre.org McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

Clarity And Stability Go A Long Way

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Work/Life Balance
- Mobility (i.e. remote reachback to corporate network)
- 401 (a) matching
- Certain individuals willing to work with you to succeed

In my time at MITRE, when I actually had good MITRE work to focus on, I could easily focus on how to leverage internal resources to provide value to sponsors. In certain difficult situations, there seemed to be a consensus as to providing legitimate opportunities to succeed within the company.

Cons- Unclear direction in certain work programs
- Too much reliance on traditional ways of doing business
- Inability to clearly define FFRDC role to most sponsors
- No clear direction on progressing from certain managers

Seems to be a communication issue among DHs in different divisions. A consistent problem programs are running into is the type of work requested by the sponsors, which in turn puts MITRE in a difficult position when it comes to justifying its requirements in order to support said sponsors. Management needs to be approachable when dealing with issues along with working with employees to get into positions quickly.

Advice to Senior Management- Like the concept behind the MITRE Way, but there needs to be more accountability brought into the process, especially at the MTS 5-6 levels.
- Better clarification on how to progress from the MTS 2-3 levels upward, recommendations are extremely vague.

Understand that things are getting tighter due to the sequester. To that end, there needs to be a truly concerted effort with the MITRE Way to effectively manage work across all of the work programs. What is really troubling is the lack of understanding that many sponsors have in terms of the value that MITRE provides them. MITRE is not a body shop that can fill certain roles at a moment's notice, nor should the sponsors try to influence the types of people whose skills are being brought to bear from MITRE to help meet their mission.

Great corporate benefits. Great corporate policies that don't pan out.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros: MITRE has great corporate policies of valuing their employees. They have great employee benefits and internal resources to create high-quality products, and… Cons: A couple of weeks after the CEO of MITRE proclaimed to all employees that the company's last resort would be RIFs, 100 or more people… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Nothing special about FFRDC contract

Program Managemet (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Flexible hours, good benefits, make easy for commute. Cons: Just another contractor with short task period, undefined scope. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on MITRE.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MITRE reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MITRE CEO Alfred Grasso. All reviews posted anonymously by MITRE employees.