MITRE

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

30 years and counting...

Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MITRE is full of smart people - I learn something in almost every conversation. The work is important to our nation - whether it is about defending the country, closing the tax gap, ensuring the safety of the skies, or improving healthcare. Work-life balance is stressed. The salaries are a bit better than average and the benefits are excellent. Management all has engineering dirt under their fingernails....

Cons

MITRE doesn't grow quickly and is not about making money. If you are looking to make your fortune, this isn't the place.

Stay in touch with your roots...

470 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Great on paper

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people at MITRE are the best. It's a fantastic environment of collaboration and working for the greater good. Decent benefits and lovely facility. Interesting and challenging work programs.

Cons

While the company offers many options to help with a work-life balance, the actual execution is fully dependent on middle-management. In general, middle-managers have good intentions but don't have sufficient support or training to execute their jobs well.

Stop hiring introverted engineers to be first- and second-level managers. Hire from without and get fresh ideas and people who are trained to manage. In many ways, I think MITRE is a little too inflexible regarding new ideas or possible improvements to the culture. In some ways, they are hampered by their FFRDC status and the controls placed on FFRDCs by the Feds.

The most rewarding work of my career. Boundless opportunities to work on critical problems.

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The CEO is the best CEO of them all, period. Exposure to leading edge technologies. Educational opportunities.

Cons

Internal job assignment determination is the worst I have ever seen. Employees are virtual in house contractors, searching for work, while HR continues to parade new employees through a revolving door. Internal resource managers are ill-informed, short-sighted and in many cases, downright lazy. Fix the issue of going from one assignment to another and this company will be elevated higher in the list of "Best Companies to Work". Leave it as is, and an evolving door may emerge. MITRE prides itself on being different from "Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, etc." However, that's being just talk. With an influx of so many people from "for profit" companies, the internal atmosphere/values are changing for the worst. I only wish Mr. Grasso knew what is happening in the trenches/bowels of the company. I know he would fix it.

Considering the huge number of employees that have been hired over the last 5-10 years, there is a considerable risk that the culture that these employees bring with them will ultimately change the fabric of the company (which has been excellent) into something that is no longer worthy of emulation. Unfortunately, an environment of deceit, back stabbing and self-righteousness is emerging.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE