There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Great company!

Former Employee - Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility. Great Environment. Great Work.

Cons

I do not have many CONS that weren't just isolated incidents in my 10years with the company.

reviews filtered by

Its good but could be better

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Great place for work/home balance for the most part. Paid time off abundant, benefits great. I work have and still work for a great team and have good bosses.

Cons

Little or no growth potential for Admin assts. Unless you have a very manager that is career driven and focuses on your training and getting you to the next level you are pretty much stuck. We are the backbone of the company but dont get the recognition or oppurtunity to grow outside the realm of adminstrative services unless we go work for the big boys and executive assistant positions are very few and far between (have to wait for retirements). Also we dont get the perks of working from home like others do. Our PTOB is used up when there is inclement weather while others can work from home. That is not fair.

Take care of your admistrative staff. Help them suceed and achieve more. Most want to move up and be a more productive member of MITRE Way.

Stable and slow growth

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a big push to do important work at MITRE. Constant badgering about "what is MITRE work", versus SETA work.

There is pressure to provide "impact" for the sponsor, rather than just run job hours. It is not enough to have a project to work on, you must be providing serious sponsor impact.

The retirement program is good and the vacation is good.

Cons

The combination of not-for-profit, minimal growth, and very low turnover limit career growth opportunities. I would stay away if young. MITRE provides senior technical advice to the government, and age and experience provide confidence to the clients. Perfect for those at the end of their career who have already been senior managers and don't want the pressure any longer. However, even in those cases, you must have some serious techical ability or specialty.

There needs to be a much clearer definition of what an FFRDC does that is different. It's way too complicated and fuzzy for clients to understand. Even though there has been much work on branding, and much self-congratulation, the result is not effective.

There also needs to be much better "marketing". New programs keep the company alive and bring excited motivated employees. Too often, the senior managers have no relationship with the sponsors and do no program development. Senior managers are more administrators than business leaders. Managers spend most of their time talking to themselves, rather than out in the customer space. If a business unit declines or is stagnant, the managers must be replaced rather than kept on as "good old boys/girls"

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE