MITRE
www.mitre.org McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

Good work/life balance and benefits

Database Engineering (Current Employee)
McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGenerally flexible about working from home
Casual, yet professional work environment
Good benefits: though the formula is complicated, capturing the full retirement match means that company contributes 10% of salary and it's with Fidelity so good inexpensive index funds are available.
Paid time off accrual rates have gone down recently, but still quite competitive. In general, the company's approach to sick and vacation time is very reasonable and fair.

ConsHR policies can be rather unimaginitive when it comes to recognizing and correcting internal and external pay equity issues.
Approach to budgeting is similar to government; there's always a mad rush at the end of each fiscal year to burn money. Effort is made to do so ethically, but the whole situation inevitably leads to some waste.
Very bureaucratic: forms must be filled out to get even simple tasks done.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to find a better way to track (and hopefully reduce) the cost of meetings. A lot of meetings are wasted time because people are invited "just in case" they're needed. Even meetings where I need to either get or share information end up being about 90% wasted time and could have been handled with an email or phone call instead.

Like my job, but no room for growth.

Office Administrative Specialist (Current Employee)
Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: People are great. Direct management team is wonderful and spends time… Cons: No room for growth. Life experience and education not taken into consideration. Promotions based on length of years worked vs. merit, education, and experience. Salary increases less than… Advice to Senior Management: Take the time to appreciate administrative staff. Create some type of system where promotion is possible vs. hitting level 4 and that being the "dead… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Challenging opportunties to make an impact to sponsor mission accomplishment

McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Challenging opportunties to make an impact to sponsor mission accomplishment. Not… Cons: Government budget constrains amount of projects to support. Advice to Senior Management: Focus on enabling staff to make a difference for the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on MITRE.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MITRE reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MITRE CEO Alfred Grasso. All reviews posted anonymously by MITRE employees.