MITRE

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Very Fulfilling Work

Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work in the public interest, generally good management and co-workers, flexible schedules, good benefits. With the Metro coming, the location is even better!

Cons

I can't think of any that I wouldn't find everywhere else. It seems that promotions are not easy to come by, I believe they could have a better performance evaluation system in place.

Get out amongst the people more (pop your head in somebody's office and find out what they're working on).

446 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Software Engineer Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Plenty of freedom
    - Startup-like work environment
    - Many tech talks that interns are encouraged to go to
    - Good cafeteria
    - Interns are a part of all major brainstorming for their projects, and normally have a large say in what happens on the project.
    - Interns are normally given R&D projects
    - I was put in an office where I was sitting on $3000 chairs, working with equipment worth more than my entire pay at the internship
    - Friendly environment
    - Weekly meetings with supervisors that were mostly focused on making me comfortable

Cons

- Occasional bureaucracy
    - Supervisors tend to be extremely busy
    - Some projects are given very vague directions
    - Honest feedback isn't always given

Give interns strict guidelines for their first project.

Not the institution it once was

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The customers and technical staff.

Cons

A culture where mediocrity in management is praised and confused with leadership and real leadership demeaned. A culture where petty AC-7s compete for intangible rewards from VPs since there are no financial rewards to compete for. A culture where a major retooling had to be done to try to pay attention to the customers. Competition for attention has caused collaboration to be dead at the top and dying at the bottom because the only way to get ahead is to suck up to VPs and PDs. The back room deal is alive and well especially with the new officers recently put in place. Senior managers are simply untrustworthy and both look down and talk down to the tech staff. These are people who have little or no expertise in any field any longer and aren't even good at interacting with customers and certainly not good at getting new good work. No ability to create or maintain customer relationships or heaven help them get challenging new work.

Get rid of all of the officers and PDs. Replace them with real technical experts who don't preach to customers and staff. Look at the people working long hours and figure out they're the ones keeping the lights on. Promote based on ability to work with and grow customer base, customer relationships, and technical peer respect.

Get rid of shared leadership model. It's ridiculous. It means everybody's in charge and no one's accountable.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE