MITRE

www.mitre.org
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Still navigating the ropes, trying to formulate my opinion and decide about my future plans.

Current Employee - Technical in Bedford, MA
Current Employee - Technical in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong use of technology for work tasks, many personnel and other resources to tap. Gaining decent experience in my field of interest. But, while some things are promising, I've never loved the place...and why?

Cons

Personnel management is minimal or lacking. Workload balance between team members is extremely disparate, in my group. Some people do significantly less than others -- and yet I suspect paychecks don't correlate. Don't always practice what they preach. Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical. One particular VP loses more of my respect every time they open their mouth and babble nonsense that is insensitive to others, unfounded, and disrespectful to those they represent. Time for the President to wake up and take notice!!!!! ( Such as, the mass exodus that has begun out of this one department. Might want to consider getting some input on your next hire - since others have to work with these people too. !!! )

Follow your own guidelines. Don't overload your line management so that they don't have any time left over to manager their own staff. Leads to many issues, job dissatisfaction, resentment, and then ultimately turn-over. You should be smarter than this...not like it's not due to lack of intelligence and resources.

463 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

review 101

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

no comments in this section

Cons

no place for career advancement

Hire more qualified managers, no shoes salesman

MITRE Systems Engineer Experience

Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer, Lead in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer, Lead in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement and 401K are competitive, but benefits declined over the 5.5 years that I was employed there. Employee tools and services were excellent. Compensation was excellent in the beginning, but growth was not provided thereafter. Severance package for departing employees was fair.

Cons

Politically cliquish environment where employee success is dependent on participation in the clique more than employee performance. Poor leadership from management demoralized employees and perpetuated poor leadership skills throughout the organization. Two Reduction in Force (RIF) sessions and leave without pay absences in 2013 for the majority of employees reflected poor leadership and management of MITRE and subsequent poor morale of employees there today. Government sequestration contributed to this, but also served as a vehicle for some group leaders and department heads to railroad and terminate excellent employees. MITRE informed RIF employees that MITRE does not provide references for their employees after departing MITRE, which was the most unprofessional policy I had ever heard of.

Improve leadership skills of management (effectiveness and efficiency).

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE