There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Great Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people who care about what they do for their govt sponsors and the American public.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic, but it's a large organization. Needs to be more agile.

Focus more on delivering value/impact to govt customers and those they serve, and less on process and organizational structure, roles, etc.

reviews filtered by

Great place to work!!

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Immediate respect in any setting thanks to MITRE's reputation. MITRE gets called on to come solve hard problems. When the problems are fixed, we move on, so opportunities for new work abound... hard to ever imagine someone getting bored or stuck on a bad program for a long time. Retirement and benefits package is excellent; pay is reasonable for the workload. Great facilities and great people - I couldn't be happier (and I've been here nearly 10 years so far).

Cons

Promotion rates and pay raises, overall, are pretty slow. Lots depends on your department when it comes to promotions...some are just flat.

The P&D process (annual goal planning/measurement) is just silly. Stop putting so much emphasis on "crafting" detailed goals for everyone. Maybe some employees respond to that, but some of us just want to put, "work hard, do a good job" and press on.

2. A very welcoming atmosphere that cares about the quality of the work that it does and the happiness of its employees.

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

It is a very flexible environment that can easily be tailored to what you are interested in working on. They also are concerned about their employees' concerns and opinions.

Cons

In some department, career advancement speeds are slower than one would like. But, keep in mind this is also due to the very low turnover at the company. There are also opportunities to gain management experience and other opportunities beyond the traditional promotion vehicle.

Management tailors its orientation and other experiences toward its employees who come from other industry jobs, as opposed to those who are coming out of school with no industry experience.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE