Good old boys club

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Training and education
-If you're good at looking busy, this is the place for you
-Hard to get fired, it's just like working for the government

Cons

-Do ALOT more with less money and less resources
-Benefits are slowly being cut little by little
-There is no clear path for promotions, you just need to be part of the old boys club to get anything.
-Review system is a joke, laddering is purely an exercise of "horse trading"
-A lot of dead weight
-Very Silo-ed organizations
-Two main locations = Two different cultures and it is almost like two different companies

Advice to Management

Do a little more to attract and retain young talent.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. 2013 Intern--Overall pretty darn good.

Former Intern - Technical Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Intern - Technical Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation was very good.

Turnover is very low. Some people on my team had worked their 20+ years! There was a variety of experience, which was very helpful.

Dress is usually casual. Jeans are encouraged on most teams unless a customer is visiting. One lady helping us at orientation had a nose ring.

You may have the opportunity to work on some great projects. The US government is groundbreaking.

If you're a software developer, the likelihood of you maintaining code is low. MITRE produces prototypes for the government, not final products. If a product is going to be used, it is then handed off to another company for production.

Warm, welcoming people. My team genuinely wanted me to succeed and would spend the time to help me. They heavily encouraged communication and I felt that I was close with most people. My first few weeks, I had so many people stop by my desk to welcome me that it made my head spin!

Skywalks! On my campus, anyway, you could get to all main buildings from the skywalk system. I imagine that's great in the winter.

Corporate food is affordable and not terrible. The employees who worked in the cafeteria are very sweet and a lot of fun, too.

As an intern, the length of your stay is really up to you. You can go from ten weeks to a summer and semester if you want! They reimbursed me for travel to and from work with regards to relocation, making sure I got everything I was elligible for.

I spent a lot of time with coworkers outside of work. Including my mentor, people in other departments, and fellow interns. MITRE did a good job introducing me to some interns, but I'd have liked a bigger get together earlier on to meet everybody.

Hours are flexible. I had a team where I had to be in for one 15 minute meeting a day and could work the other hours as I pleased. Even then, if I wanted to take a short vacation, I only had to make sure that I worked the full 80 hours for a two week period dispersed and I pleased. This is likely dependent on your team.

HR works hard to make sure your desk is ergonomic. I sat for 40 hours a week and didn't have back or eye problems.

Cons

Lack of feedback at end of internship. As things came up, I was informed about my performance, but I was not really informed if I would receive an offer if something opened up. This seems to be the case with most people. This is because of several factors:
      people leaving - if you do well at your internship, it's not a guarantee you'll receive an offer. People may not leave your team and your set of skills may not be needed.
      funding - the government dictates MITREs existence. if funding is cut, they're definitely not taking on new people.

MITRE as a whole seems to be a very conservative company. Since their only customer is the US government, MITRE has a very pro-military mindset. This is a great fit for some people, but may make others uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Be up front with interns about what needs to happen in order for them to be offered a position. Have this conversation as soon as possible.

2. Good

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

highly intellectual members who collaborate

Cons

Can not think of any cons